belly and jowl bacon -

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
Here is our 4th bacon project this winter.  One belly I used a maple cure from sausage maker, the other belly I used charcuterie recipe for maple cure bacon but I used hickory syrup instead of maple syrup.  10 day in the cure, 48 hour cold smoke over cherry wood using a-maze-n smoker.

191079a0_bacon426.jpg

9c6f54bb_bacon413.jpg

61c188f9_bacon410.jpg

161ad82c_5411616922_c5251594f9_b.jpg

8b6219df_bacon412.jpg

fafa3527_Copyofbacon42.jpg

114e1321_5450629051_0248d5e56e_b.jpg

792a8947_5450634165_6fda65a890_b.jpg
d315ffd9_Copyofbacon417.jpg
bf952417_Copyofbacon418.jpg

f599cd1b_Copyofbacon412.jpg

Jowl bacon slice up.

b7303acc_5476454959_009ef80dcd_b.jpg

Jowl sliced

db934f84_5476455137_8e0dcde423_b.jpg

62b84ba5_5476455327_5b62498282_b.jpg

Going in the oven

aef4fe98_5476451741_93f2b6e45e_b.jpg

ea831c13_5477053532_e0f6df35eb_b.jpg

784a654c_5477055060_76c1f689c4_b.jpg

f2f6d77b_5476454579_2b36f4e4a0_b.jpg

65711feb_5476454781_6d910d844f_b.jpg

We really like the hickory bacon, unfortunately the cost of hickory syrup is quite high!  Haven't tried the jowl's yet...bacon is really good! 

All those pic's look delicious, great job!!!

I never heard of hichory syrup but I bet it's real tastey.

All those pic's look delicious, great job!!!

I never heard of hichory syrup but I bet it's real tastey.
There is only one place on line that I've found it, I think the take the bark from a shagbark hickory tree and boil the bark.  It's not as sweet as maple but it really had a great flavor on the bacon.

ShellBell,

I forgot to mention---Being a pure, born & bred Yankee, the first time I ever heard of a "Jowl" was on the Beverly Hillbillies!

Sounded good to me then, but not near as good as your "Jowl Bacon" looks.

Bear

ShellBell,

That is some great looking bacon and unlike my dear friend Bear, I have known what a jowl was since I was a little boy, but I must admit it's the first time I have seen jowl bacon!  It all looks great and I absolutely love bacon, I don't care what it is made from it is the hogs gift to man!  Speaking of the Hickory Syrup, where did you find it on the web, I would like to get some to try!  I like maple syrup but it is a bit too sweet for me sometimes.  I think I would like to try the Hickory Syrup, and who knows may make my own someday if I can figure it out, we have all kinds of hickory trees on our property, only thing I ever knew they were good for was hickory nuts and squirrels.  Keep up the good work and keep the bacon rolling Shell.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

good looking bacon , jowl bacon is great too,, i mix up jowl with venison and form in a cake pan and smoke

it and turns out like bacon really good... never heard of hickey syrup where did you get that?

did you cure it the frig  for how many days, love to have dealtails of how you made it..

Found this, in case it helps anyone:

When the editor suggested this topic (the elusive hickory syrup) I recalled having seen some mention of the syrup while browsing in Dave's Gardens forums. In short order, I relocated the posts that I remembered. A DG member had said that hickory syrup was easily made using cracked shells of various hickory nuts, as well as by boiling shed hickory bark. He was kind enough to email me a copy of his writing on the subject of hickory syrup making.

Self-described hickory "nut" Dr. Lucky Pittman tells about his experience with homemade hickory syrup in a paper submitted to the Northern Nut Growers Association newsletter. With his permission, I present the following instructions for making your own hickory syrup from bark or nutshells.

Ingredients:

a large pot full of cracked shell and husk, or cracked whole nuts from shagbark or mockernut hickory, or of exfoliating bark scraps collected from shagbark, shellbark or pignut hickory trees.

Sugar

Water

Wash and drain the nuts, nutshells or bark pieces to remove loose dirt. Put the bark or shell into a large pot and cover with water. Boil the mixture all day. (Makes the house smell good!) Strain out the solids and measure the liquid. Return the now brown, aromatic hickory "liquor" to the pot and add sugar in a proportion of one and a half times the amount of sugar as you have of liquid, for example four cups of liquid needs six cups of sugar. Boil this for thirty minutes. Pour the syrup into canning jars and seal them. (Not specified, but I would suggest you may want to store in the refrigerator) You may adjust the amount of sugar a bit but too much sugar will simply crystallize in the jar.

That sounds simple enough. I will give certainly give the Hickoryworks folks due credit; I'm sure they've been diligent in standardizing their recipe to turn out a consistently high-quality product. A video on their home page will give you a little more insight into the technical aspects, such as Brix testing, of their process. Between hints from Hickoryworks, and the experience shared by Dr. Pittman, I think we have the makings of some fun experiments in hickory home brewing to warm up the rest of autumn. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out. I'm off to identify some local hickories.

Source:

[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][font=Arial, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', Verdana]http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2646/[/font][/font]

There are some other hits on the Net, if you search "Hickory nut/bark syrup".

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky