Bell Fabrication Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What are everyone's thoughts on reverse flow offsets? Not trying to cause debates, I know this can be like fat cap up vs fat cap down opinions.😂🤣

I have never used one but would like too. I bet its like any other you have a learning curve on how it cooks.
I have 2 reverse flow smokers. My first is Little Jake
C86E24D6-32BB-4E52-BF26-7667BED0E5E0.jpeg

And my most recent is Big Jake
CAD21BC1-5B7B-41EA-A13D-8F594B7583E3.jpeg
40630739-D611-4751-B9A6-893FC8F1506D.jpeg

They both cook nicely but differently. It’s hard to describe in words. I prefer to cook on Big Jake. But they both excel in different areas. Big Jake likes a lot of wood and that can be an issue for some. Maybe smokin peachey smokin peachey can chime in on the trad offsets as he has a couple different sized ones he uses and cooks a lot on. The bell fab offset seems nice for the price. I’d probably want rubber wheels though.

Reactions: Danblacksher
On my Bel Fab I have thought about cutting the baffle plate out that is in the cooking chamber from the firebox, and having the plate welded back on flat against the wall of the cooking chamber to make the heat go straight up when it enters from the firebox. Just so all the heat would go straight up and across the meat then out the stack. I think it may eliminate the hot spots on the grill.

I have never used one but would like too. I bet its like any other you have a learning curve on how it cooks.
So I talked to Craig today, he'll build whatever people ask, won't deny what customers want. He's probably more aligned in traditional camp of smokers. He has nothing against reverse flow and neither do I but I think it was good to get feedback from him. He's very nice and easy to talk to! Appreciate his willingness to answer questions!

On my Bel Fab I have thought about cutting the baffle plate out that is in the cooking chamber from the firebox, and having the plate welded back on flat against the wall of the cooking chamber to make the heat go straight up when it enters from the firebox. Just so all the heat would go straight up and across the meat then out the stack. I think it may eliminate the hot spots on the grill.

So I talked to Craig today, he'll build whatever people ask, won't deny what customers want. He's probably more aligned in traditional camp of smokers. He has nothing against reverse flow and neither do I but I think it was good to get feedback from him. He's very nice and easy to talk to! Appreciate his willingness to answer questions!
Danblacksher Danblacksher & Displaced Texan Displaced Texan I'm conflicted on smoker size. Stuck between a 36" and 48". I asked if Craig could do a 42" and they don't come in that size unfortunately. It's all an unbeatable price, so let's get that out of the way. However, there is a price difference. I think Craig said $800 for 36" and $1600 for 48".......is the extra foot worth the extra $800 is my question. I guess for Danblacksher Danblacksher , do you ever wish you had more room? Do you regret the 36". I'm thinking most cases it'd be fine for me. However, there are times I'd like to cook for 15-20 people.

Danblacksher Danblacksher & Displaced Texan Displaced Texan I'm conflicted on smoker size. Stuck between a 36" and 48". I asked if Craig could do a 42" and they don't come in that size unfortunately. It's all an unbeatable price, so let's get that out of the way. However, there is a price difference. I think Craig said $800 for 36" and $1600 for 48".......is the extra foot worth the extra $800 is my question. I guess for Danblacksher Danblacksher , do you ever wish you had more room? Do you regret the 36". I'm thinking most cases it'd be fine for me. However, there are times I'd like to cook for 15-20 people.
Mine is 48. I would say definitely get that larger one if it is in the budget.

Reactions: BBQMAN3 and mike243
I agree on the 48 if you can afford it. I only got the 36 because It was that or not get one. I did not realize there would be a deflector plate and would not have gotten that on mine but did not realize they had one. I am considering modifying it. Here is a good video about the way smokers cook with and without a deflector plate.

Reactions: BBQMAN3
All good info. I never knew Bell Fabs were that affordable. I have a old country pecos and have been thinking about upgrading for some time but it's hard for me to justify $3k or more right now. Bell is something I'll look into.

I have a friend who works for a fabrication shop and I am considering seeing if he could close up the hole going from the cook chamber to the firebox and installing a pipe from the firebox to the cook chamber like the new Goldees backyard pit. I am getting good results the way it is, but would really like to get the heat to the top of the cook chamber as fast as possible to cook top down.

Attachments

• IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 44
I have a friend who works for a fabrication shop and I am considering seeing if he could close up the hole going from the cook chamber to the firebox and installing a pipe from the firebox to the cook chamber like the new Goldees backyard pit. I am getting good results the way it is, but would really like to get the heat to the top of the cook chamber as fast as possible to cook top down.
Didn't you say there is a baffle between the cook chamber and the firebox

Didn't you say there is a baffle between the cook chamber and the firebox
Yes the baffle is 9 inches long. If I was to close the opening from the firebox and run the pipe it would make the entire bottom grate usable. I would cut the baffle and then shape it to fit the current hole from the firebox. Then weld that closed. Then install the pipe from the top of the firebox to the cook chamber. I could probably fit 5 or six briskets on the bottom rack and run a cleaner smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5570.jpeg
    IMG_5570.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 49
Why not try cutting the baffle out first before a major mod? It would let the heat come out and up faster. My old country had one similar, the firebox opening is smaller on mine and the baffle was angled down making it a down up smoker. Cutting mine out made it a top down smoker. Not apples to apples I know but could save you a bunch of work/money

That is what I am going to do if the other mod is too expensive. The problem is I have no experience with either. If I just cut the baffle I am going to try to block the entry to the cook chamber with bricks to divert the heat and smoke up. The person I know in metal fab is suppose to come look at it in a couple of days to see what’s possible. Anything is possible if you have the money, but my possible is money dependent 😂

Mine is 48. I would say definitely get that larger one if it is in the budget.

Why not try cutting the baffle out first before a major mod? It would let the heat come out and up faster. My old country had one similar, the firebox opening is smaller on mine and the baffle was angled down making it a down up smoker. Cutting mine out made it a top down smoker. Not apples to apples I know but could save you a bunch of work/money
Do you feel cutting out baffle helped hot spot? Does it cook more evenly? Or just moves hotspot to right where firebox meets cooking chamber? I've done a ton of research, knew about old country mods like this. Most people say that works great to remove baffle.

That is what I am going to do if the other mod is too expensive. The problem is I have no experience with either. If I just cut the baffle I am going to try to block the entry to the cook chamber with bricks to divert the heat and smoke up. The person I know in metal fab is suppose to come look at it in a couple of days to see what’s possible. Anything is possible if you have the money, but my possible is money dependent 😂
I've seen the Goldies new pit style. It looks awesome! Honestly, it makes a lot of sense! I bet Craig could build it. Might be more of an 90 elbow instead of rounded elbow. I'd be okay with it. Basically a shortened stack. Then a door on firebox on the side for loading splits. Seems like you no longer get top rack though with that design? Top rack would be hot zone?

Do you feel cutting out baffle helped hot spot? Does it cook more evenly? Or just moves hotspot to right where firebox meets cooking chamber? I've done a ton of research, knew about old country mods like this. Most people say that works great to remove baffle.
I did not remove the baffle in mine. I had tuning plates. I don't use them now. I was over thinking. This pit is easy to figure out and run and has tons of convection. I see no reason, for me, to remove that baffle.

I've done a ton of research, knew about old country mods like this. Most people say that works great to remove baffle.
Whatever you end up with I wouldn't do any mods until you cooked on it for awhile. Get to know the smoker and figure out how it works and what works for you and what doesn't.

Whatever you end up with I wouldn't do any mods until you cooked on it for awhile. Get to know the smoker and figure out how it works and what works for you and what doesn't.
I have cooked a lot on mine and I think with the mod it would make the whole bottom grate usable. This would increase the amount I could cook. I am getting a really good product, but I think the mod could make it incredible. If it cost too much will leave it the way it is. Right now the center of the bottom rack is not very usable and cooking with the smoke stack fully open is difficult without the meat cooking too fast. I have an idea I which I could do myself, but have no equipment or talent with steel work. Will take pics if I get something done. Love the grill but always like to improve if I can.

I had Craig Bell build me an offset smoker. He is great to work with. I don't smoke big volumes, just for our household & when family comes over. I did quite a bit of research and talked with friends who have experience. Craigs offset smokers ticked all the important boxes, 3/8 wall X 36" smoker, 1/2" wall X 20" firebox tight lids & doors, etc. I customized from his 2 x4 standard to fit my useage, (1) 36" smoker with 2 lids to lighten the lift, (2) install my spec casters w/swivel & handle on flue end, and a few other things. Craig's smoker is a fraction of the going rate and well worth the price. Mine weighs 800+ lbs.
I asked Craig to install a 12" wide heat deflector above the fire box/smoker interface. With Tel Tru thermometer in center of each lid, the right side (next to the firebox), 1st fire ran about 50f colder than the left. I removed it completely (just cut to right length ) laid in place. 2nd fire ran about 20f hotter than the left. 3rd fire, I cut some scrap 4-1/2 wide and it dialed in very well with less than 5f difference.
I have cooked on it twice now with great results. It may not have the fancy weld beads the new hi-tech welders put down, but the steel, fabrication & function are all there. No better deal to be had and you can have it done your way for just a little bit more.

Attachments

• BellFab JDD Smoker 01.jpg
    BellFab JDD Smoker 01.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky