Beginner looking at Masterbuilt 30 vs 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

linedpaper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
I'm completely new to all of this.  I've been reading and for the about $200 price range I think I'm looking at the Masterbuilt.  Any others I should be considering?  If I go with the Masterbuilt I'm stuck on the 2 door 30 inch or the single door 40 inch.  Seems like the more space would be nice to not have to slice up ribs, but how is that tradeoff compared to the two doors?

Thanks!

I would go with the 40 right off the bat.

The extra space is nice to have and it's not that much more.

Al

Is the second door not that important then? On Amazon right now the 30 is just under $170 and the 40 is about $250.  I've seen people post about cheaper prices on the 40 so I'm going to look around for that before pulling the trigger.  Thanks!

I'm sorry I thought you were talking about electric smokers.
45.gif
Duh were in the propane smoker section.  The reviews of the Masterbuilt propane smokers are not very good.

The 40" electric is very popular around here and you may want to take a look at that one.

Al

Last edited:
I found the 40 for cheaper at walmart, going to place an order on that today.  Any suggestions on a thermometer?  It seems the two suggestions most people have had with this one is a digital thermometer and a cast iron skillet to hold the wood chips.

From what I was seeing it appeared people like the Masterbuilt propane.  I was planning to go propane over electric, is there another one in this range I should be looking at?

Yes I posted a response in your other thread. Before you buy the MB, take a look at the Smoke Vault 24. It's a very good smoker.

Al

Is the 24" going to be big enough to do a rack of ribs without cutting?

I just read a bunch on the Smoke Vault 24 and it appears to be a much better fit for me, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm pricing it out now, but it appears for a first timer it'll be easier to use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky