Before I screw it all up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AmandaW

Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Please be gentle with me ☺️ I don’t have a massive love of meat curing like some, but i love processing our own homegrown meat so I’m looking for some easy reliable options.

were getting ready to butcher 5 pigs at once. Last year I screwed up our bacon cure and it was kind of high in pink salt. I don’t want to do that again! I only butcher once a year, I’m no professional and I don’t really even remember what I did last year so I’m here for help from experts BEFORE I screw up. Typically I throw all the hams and bacon in the same brine- in barrels and cure. Id like to do that with the hams still but I’m going to do the bacon in smaller batches this year. I would really love some recommendations on recipes. If anyone has a recipe using maple sugar or maple syrup, that’d be a bonus (we make our own and I’ve got about 70 gallons on the shelf!). Otherwise, other sweeteners are ok too. For reference- I’m pro pink curing salt (prefer that to use celery powder or whatnot) and I have some pretty strong botulism/health anxieties, so I’m not really looking for any old fashioned methods or cold smoking techniques. Now that I rambled forever, what are your preferred brines/recipes? Thanks in advance!

@Bearcarver @daveomak chef jimmyj chef jimmyj

I've tagged a few of the more experienced folks on site. Just in case this post gets buried. Sorry I can't help, but someone will be along. Have you used the search function yet? There are a ton of threads on site about curing.

Chris

Quick question that may help your answers.

How long were you brining the bellies for? Same time as the hams or...?

Edit: also a rough recipe of your cure/eq brine will be asked for at some point I'd bet

pop's brine is my go to brine., it's easy to use and taste good, i'm sure you could replace the sugar with your maple sugar. like mentioned the ham's will take much longer so I would put them in there own barrels. I would also inject them. i'm no pro, i'm sure you will get more responses. good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky