Before I make my first Pastrami...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjoe52

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids IA
Been smokin for 7 years, but I am in a rut with the same recipes. After having a pastrami meal at a friend's house, I decided to try a homegrown one. He ordered a Katz's pastrami, and I told him I would bring my slicer over, but it was WAY to tender for the slicer, so I used my knife and cut it for him. Now for my question.

If I essentially do this: (and I may start with a corned beef brisket to try the smoke/sous vide)

1.Cure brisket for 10 days
2.Season and smoke to an internal temp. of 145 degrees
3.wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge for a couple days
4.vacuum seal and place in a Sous Vide bath for up to 36 hours at 155 degrees.

Q1: Will I be able to slice thin for stackable sammies, or will it be too tender like my friends?
Q2: I have usually used Prague #1 when curing in a brine, but many pastrami recipes use #1 in the dry curing rub. No problems doing that if the right amount is used?
Q3: If I want machine sliceable, can i sous vide at all?
Q4: If no Sous Vide for machine sliceable, would it be cure and smoke to say 145-150, cool in fridge then machine slice. Re-heat obviously for sammies.

I want to try knife slicing, but would also like to get a less tender, thin machine sliced version too. I ordered my Sv circulator, so will be trying various recipes including the brisket.

Suggestions and thoughts are appreciated as always.

Smokinjoe

Why not just smoke to desired texture? I don't SV but seems to me if you don't want fall apart then SV isn't the way to go. I may be totally wrong ;) As I see it, you only need super thin slices if the meat is kinda tough, smoke to super tender and a nice hand slice is beautiful. But, we all have our personal tastes. Just my late evening thoughts.

Reactions: chopsaw
I see you have a chef's choice slicer. I have that same one, and here is what I do when I want to slice meat thin. Do your fridge rest like you intended. The day you want to slice, place your pastrami in the freezer for at least a couple of hours before you slice. This is what I do for smoked bottom round roast that I can slice paper thin for sammies. Good luck!

I want to try it both ways since I do have an sv circulator. I agree that super tender, little thicker sliced is great, but I have had the NY deli sandwiches that were piled high and sliced thin, so want to be able to have that in my bag of tricks too.

5grillzntn - Are you saying that very tender pastrami can be thinly machine sliced if cooled and then into the freezer for a little bit before slicing? AFTER it has been SV'ed for 24 hours. Usually I just try this, but the meat is $$, and the time it takes is LOOOONG. Want to have the best shot possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

I can't help with the SV part since I don't have one. It has to be almost frozen before you can slice thin with the Chef's Choice. I've never had a problem thin slicing roast, or pork belly if leave them in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours.

I made pastrami from a (factory) corned point once.
It was knife cut tender and OK, but still much better than the deli stuff in NW Minnesota.

I've got a full packer brisket in the fridge.
Point is going for the brine to make pastrami.
Flat trim will get corned for the wife to eat.

If I recall Katz makes pastrami from navel cut or beef belly.

I do pastrami by smoking @225F to an I/T of 145-150F, then sous vide @155F for 24 hours. I think 36 hours might be too long if you want to retain "sliceability." I go directly from the smoker to the S/V without a cooling step. Like others have said, an hour or so in the freezer before slicing really helps.

Thanks everybody - I am going to try my first pastrami using a corned beef brisket. As I understand, it helps (is necessary) to soak the corned beef brisket in cold water with a couple water changes, for about 12 hours to remove the salt used in the process. Is that correct? Also, can any of you share a homemade or purchased rub you love for smoking pastrami?

Braz - I'll use your method as it sounds good. Just got my SV machine and love it.

I am going to go for knife tender before I try to chefs choice slice one.

thanks - Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky