1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beets

Discussion in 'Root Crops' started by buzzy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

Got a few red beets to pickle & can today EB045D7F-1019-4DC8-949F-4943DEFC4B0D.jpeg

2. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

Just a couple. Love pickled beets though.

3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

My wife would be in heaven. Those look good.

Chris

4. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

One of my favorite standbys fits in with just about any meal.

Warren

5. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

What no mention of pickled eggs & red beets. Now that’s some good eating.

6. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

You can put beats into hummus. Is good stuff! Just puree in the food processor while making your homemade hummus.

buzzy likes this.
  7. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yum!

8. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

A day worth of work but got 12 qts. of my own home grown pickled red beets E6532BE0-86E0-44E8-B00D-3956745DA676.jpeg

browneyesvictim likes this.
  9. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Just wondering how you pickle them- do you go sweet? Spicy? I've had both. I am not very good at trying to make up my own pickling recipes and I always find store bought pickled beets are painfully bland.

10. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

Just vinegar, sugar & the broth from cooking the beets. KIS is the way I like to make most stuff.

11. TomKnollRFV

Ahh- I never seem to do that..I start with KIS. Then end up doing the 'It's pretty bloody complicated' method.. Problem with getting ideas half way through..

12. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

Been there done that. Then it seem to always go back to simple. Years ago I had a very heavy ingredients deer bologna recipe. I make for a few years. One day the wife says u know this isn’t really that good. WOW I was set back. Did some searching an came up with a recipe that is pretty simple. Of course had to do a little tweaking. Now everybody loves it. Family can get away with being critical but that’s what I like Honest guinea pigs.

13. TomKnollRFV

I find I always try to spice up recipes is my problem. Like I legitimately enjoy a kick in the gut level of heat some times, but they -never- work out as intended. LOL