Beet Pickles ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I made 10 pints today, 5 regular and 5 spicy. They would have been 10 spicy except I ran out of spices....

IMG_9833.JPG

I love beet pickles, in the summer or with BBQ, they just can't be beat! (And I hate beets with a passion). They sure are pretty and clear red when ya hold 'em up.

They look good, Kev

I’m like you, I could only tolerate beets when they’re pickled, preferably in pickled eggs.

Man I love pickled beets...
I always do a few jars around the Christmas holidays...
Your pictures made me want some now...lol...in fact I just updated my grocery list to include a few pounds of beets...
If I get on it I can have em done by my 4th of July smoke out.

They look good, Kev

I’m like you, I could only tolerate beets when they’re pickled, preferably in pickled eggs.

You should try the "Amish Eggs" recipe here on the boards sometime. I hate to say it because you can't imagine how many pickled purple eggs I have eaten, but...... I was really impressed with 'em.

You should try the "Amish Eggs" recipe here on the boards sometime. I hate to say it because you can't imagine how many pickled purple eggs I have eaten, but...... I was really impressed with 'em.

Gotcha covered there. Yeah they are really good, I just finished my last one for lunch today.
39A8EB30-1474-4186-9CF9-F154700F7E89.jpeg

I have a jar of beet pickled eggs in the downstairs beer fridge that are ready. I like to rotate between them.

looks good, can honestly say i've never had beet pickles,

Never pause when you have a chance to broaden your horizons! I started to say maybe it was a southern or even West Texas thing but I read Xray's post above yours, and he's also from PA.

I always tell everyone I meet, I was brought up with a Betty Crocker cook book, AND later was given a "Ball Blue Book". Its like finding a whole new area to play with. Its all about canning. and my Mom and my both my grandmothers did canning big time! I find all kinds of things I remember liking in my childhood.

Pickle Beets, watermelon pickles, pickled green tomatoes, chow-chow, piccadilly, corn relish, etc etc etc.... and those are just some of the pickled recipes. Its like 10 dollars and when you get it, it will be like the old Sears Christmas catalog, you'll sit in your comfy chair and Oooo and aaagh! Amazon, Barns & Noble you'll not regret it.

Looking good, Kev. I love beets with butter and salt. But......I REALLY love beet pickles Never tried spicy ones though.
Gary

OK, When someone above mentioned pickled eggs I remembered I had posted pickled eggs just a little while back. I posted the standard recipe.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pickled-beets-foamheart.286237/

Pickle Beets

Yields approx. 3 qts.

3 Qts. - Beets cleaned, cooked and skinned. (About 24 small)
2 C - Sugar
2 - Cinnamon Sticks
1 Tbsp - Whole All spice
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
3 1/2 C - Vinegar
1 1/2 C - water

Add all the spices water and vinegar and boil 10 mins.

Hot pack the jars, Stir gently to get out air bubbles, then add syrup to 1/2" from top.

Then add lids and water bath for 30 mins.

Notes, make sure your beets are done, no one wants hard pickles. Also I add a jar cocktail onions divided in the jars.

Spicy, you just add mustard seeds (Color by personal heat preference) & Whole cloves. The reason I am making some more is these are as bad as andouille, you make 'em, they are all gone. "I never heard of pickle beets". A week later, back wanting more. LOL

Man I love pickled beets...
I always do a few jars around the Christmas holidays...
Your pictures made me want some now...lol...in fact I just updated my grocery list to include a few pounds of beets...
If I get on it I can have em done by my 4th of July smoke out.

LOL.... I have the same problem, I add the beets (small are best) to the list but forget to check Sugar, apple cider vinegar, spices, then its another trip. LOL

Let me give you something to try that I do. I add cocktail onions to the jar. Those little pickled coctail onions, you can get 'em in the grocery store also. Just drop about 4 or 5 in each jat before processing. They are like little explosions of taste you don't expect. I use Mezzetta, like 4.00 a decent sized jar, easily enough for two batches of beets.

I love beets right out of the can with a little vinegar, oil and black pepper with a side of ham steak and Kraft M&C.

What pray tell is a beet pickle and more importantly who are they made?

I am pretty sure you can't buy them. I put the recipes up above. Its not hard, messy but not hard. That red juice has to be cleaned up immediately. LOL Get young small tender beets. Just read thru the above replies and you'll have a better understanding of what to do.

Good luck if you try 'em, and I am sure you'll love 'em. So good with BBQ!

LOL.... I have the same problem, I add the beets (small are best) to the list but forget to check Sugar, apple cider vinegar, spices, then its another trip. LOL

Let me give you something to try that I do. I add cocktail onions to the jar. Those little pickled coctail onions, you can get 'em in the grocery store also. Just drop about 4 or 5 in each jat before processing. They are like little explosions of taste you don't expect. I use Mezzetta, like 4.00 a decent sized jar, easily enough for two batches of beets.
Thanks for the tip...I'll definetly give that a shot...I usually slice up some onion to put in mine anyway...I like the cocktail onion idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky