Beer can chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WesBigs

Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Looking to try a beer can chicken this weekend on mt woodwind and looking for advice.
Camp chef says to cook at 375 and Traeger says to cook at 425.
My goal is a chicken thats juicy on the inside with crispy delicious skin. What has been the best experience for crispy skin?

You need high heat to crisp the skin. You’ll probabaly be fine with either 375 or 425.

I quit doing beer can chicken. I don’t think the beer actually does anything. I almost always have the same amount of liquid in the can at the end. I don’t think it gets hot enough to really steam anything.

I spatchcock my chicken now. Low and slow for 60 minutes then 425 to finish.

I have seen the debate on the beer can thing but want to try it with the new grill anyway. The next one is going to get spatchcocked.

Don’t know if it helps or hurts but I put a onion or potato chunck in the neck opening to keep the steam in the cavity.

Reactions: chopsaw
Anything over 325* should get you crispy skin. How long it takes will depend on the size of the bird and temp you settle in on. Just make sure to take it to an internal of 165* in the thickest part of the bird. If the skin isn't getting crispy crank up your temps. Let us know how it goes.

Chris

Ive always wondered if heating up an aluminum can with a coating of paint and film was posing a health risk. Regardless, I dont do beer can chickens, I just prefer to throw the bird on as is.

There is no steam. In order for there to be, the beer would need to reach boiling point. The chicken acts like a heat sink and prevents the beer from getting near boiling. The can also prevents air from circulating on the inside resulting in less even cooking. It's a useless waste of beer.

Skip the beer can and spatchcock or halve the chicken, cooks more evenly, I prefer to halve because I can serve as a breast, wing, quarter and or thigh/leg. If you want to put a little smoke on it cook at 225 for the 1st hour then crank up the grill to 375 and pull when the breast is 165.

ncS3woG.jpg

Reactions: zwiller and phatbac
Ive always wondered if heating up an aluminum can with a coating of paint and film was posing a health risk. Regardless, I dont do beer can chickens, I just prefer to throw the bird on as is.
I agree with this. Been doing mine for years on a self-made "beer can" from a stainless tube welded to a sheet metal base. Works great. Also, plenty of vertical cookers on the market that act as the beer can that are not only much safer, but much more stable too - won't tip over. I use both with excellent results. Don't have to use beer. Any wine, marinade, beer, even stock will do. Add bunches of herbs, garlic, etc. and you'll love it.

There is no steam. In order for there to be, the beer would need to reach boiling point. The chicken acts like a heat sink and prevents the beer from getting near boiling. The can also prevents air from circulating on the inside resulting in less even cooking. It's a useless waste of beer.

Totally disagree but that's ok. I spatchcock as well a love both techniques. If you leave the neck opening opened, you'll get an excellent circulation through delta-temperature convection. Ask any engineer - I may know a few. if the cavity is 120, 140, 160 and so on, and the air temp just outside the neck opening is 250, 300, 400, whatever, you'll make a solid convection flow, which is why this is an excellent technique for birds.

I've used my vertical cooker in my MES smoker at 275F. I fill the tube with white wine, garlic, 1/4 onion and some thyme/rosemary. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm.

Interesting read. Lots of good info:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...en-waste-good-beer-inferior-cooking-technique

The liquid in the can simply does not get hot enough to steam anything. The chicken acts like a Koozie.

In addition, fat drips into the can and sits on the surface of the liquid further preventing any steam or flavor from escaping.

Every time I’ve cooked BCC I’ve always ended up with the same amount of liquid in the can. The main reason I quit doing it even before reading the Meathead article.

It’s simply not necessary. I’m sure your chicken tastes good but it would without the can.

I would never use a painted aluminum can to cook anything. I use a wide mouth (2.50 dia) stainless tube and my other is a ceramic bought here:

The dynamics are totally different than what that article is talking about. Try it. And for Pete's sake, never cook on painted aluminum. That's just common sense.

I’ll take your word for it as it does seem better than using a can. Personally I don’t see the need. Just something else I have to clean.

I have tried it. I did beer can chickens for years and came to the same conclusion as the guy in the link below. Bunches of herbs adds less flavor than a small sprinkling of herbs add directly into the cavity.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

I have seen the debate on the beer can thing but want to try it with the new grill anyway. The next one is going to get spatchcocked.

Only real way is to find out for yourself... Beer can chicken is waste of beer to me. As was said, spatchcock is better but in the end I just halve birds. Easier to brine/rub/move around/serve.

i always did beer can chickens on the side for big cookouts to put on a show....i had a cooker that i could line up 5 oven stuffer roasters(7-8lbs) in, it was pretty cool looking and everyone oooed and awwwed. the chicken always came out moist and tender i would dry rub inside and out and onion in the neck cooked at 325 for an hour and half....when i pull those beer cans out they were alway hot as sh** and steaming. havn't made them in a while got into muffin tin thighs...heaven!

I have now searched & googled the heck out of spatchcock chicken. I had totally missed out on that one. Now I'm gonna try my hand at that soon. Makes sense and they look delicious.

I, too, have had less than spectacular results from beer can chicken. At this point, I use a reusable loaf pan to cook mine. Have one in the Pro in a larger pan now.

Reactions: weedeater
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky