1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beer Brine

Discussion in 'Beer & Ale' started by kboss714, Apr 18, 2015.

1. kboss714

kboss714 Fire Starter

I love to brine/marinade my meat before cooking and I know beer is a meat tenderizer. I've only used Guinness with pork but looking to exprand my repertoire of what beers to use. I want to know ideas for pork, beef, chicken, turkey and other meat you menjoy BBQing/ Smoking.

2. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've noticed that no one has answered this and I probably won't be much input.  I've only used water, fruit juices, Guinness (or stouts), and wine (red and white) to brine and braise.  A hefeweizen would work nicely with pork or chicken I imagine.  Might have to give that a try, though it is my favorite beer and I usually just drink it.  

3. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

I've never even thought about brining with beer. But if it makes a chicken as happy as it makes me, I might just give it a go! LOL. Thanks for the idea, David.

4. jkn09

jkn09 Newbie

Not necessarily brining, but my buddy smoked some chicken quarters in a pan with an IPA and it was fantastic. So maybe that would lend itself to a brine as well.

5. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I use beer a lot as a brine. Bacon,hocks,beef tongue. I 50/50 with water,add salt brown sugar,cure 1, bay leaf,cut up oranges,coriander seed.
    It works do well I haven't bothered trying much else. I use cheap beer,mostly black ale but not always.

6. Hi Ray

I have always brined my Thanksgiving Turkey and usually used a 6 of a good Belgian Triple, it did add some flavor for sure and I bet a good Hef would do the same thing, last Chickens I did besides all of the other goodies I used some bud lite and it does add to the flavor of the meat. Give it a shot

7. cooker613

cooker613 Fire Starter

I often cook with wine and beer...and sometimes I put it in my food!

8. Has anyone tried this yet? I know this thread is like 4 months old but I stumbled across it and it sounded amazing.

Possibly:
    Chicken brined in Blue Moon?
    Boston Butt brined in Sweetwater IPA?
    Chuck Roast in George Killian's Irish Red?
    etc...

Just a thought sounded like a wonderful idea when I saw it!

9. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

what would you brine in your Natural light ? hotdogs ? sorry that was kind of mean

SmokinVOLfan likes this.
  10. If I drank enough of them that might sound like a good idea haha

While we are on the subject I found bud light orange peel that just came out the other day. Bought a 24oz bruiser and it was terrible. Just a warning

weev likes this.
  11. bigfurmn

bigfurmn Fire Starter

I have used a few a Yuengling once and a Summit IPA a few times to brine chicken wings. Added a little SPG into the beer and cooked it up on the pellet grill. Everyone seemed to enjoy them.

12. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Which thread are you talking about SmokinVOLfan?

This one:
    Then no, can't say I have.

Or this one:

Then it's a definite YES!!!

Chris