Beef Tallow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Ok, so I trimmed up a 15# packer yesterday to cook today and wound up with around 3# of fat. :emoji_angry:
Fat.jpg
So I thought I'd render some of it down and maybe get some use out of it.
I don't use it for sausage.
It's been in a crock pot for about 3 hours and is starting to beak down. rendering.jpg
Assuming it works, remind me again what it can be used for and what sort of a container should I use?

Attachments

• Crockpot.jpg
    Crockpot.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 9
I know this probably does not help you, but others might see it...

I save all the brisket trim fat for our deer processing day to mix in with the deer for ground meat. I do a 50/50 deer and beef mix. around 80/20 meat to fat ratio. I'll pick up beef rump roasts or whole shoulder clod when I can for a good price.

I've rendered beef tallow from packers and tri tips a few times. I treated it like bacon fat and put it in a jar in the fridge. My wife doesn't like using either when she cooks, but I use both for cooking, baking, homemade tortillas, etc. Tallow gets harder than bacon fat when chilled but isn't a problem to dig out with a strong spoon.

I've rendered beef tallow from packers and tri tips a few times. I treated it like bacon fat and put it in a jar in the fridge. My wife doesn't like using either when she cooks, but I use both for cooking, baking, homemade tortillas, etc. Tallow gets harder than bacon fat when chilled but isn't a problem to dig out with a strong spoon.
Yeah, I can relate. When the Mrs. came out on the patio she asked what was in the crock pot.
When I told her she just wrinkled up her nose.
I'll have to label it so I don't get it confused with the jar of bacon fat in the fridge......

Ok, so I trimmed up a 15# packer yesterday to cook today and wound up with around 3# of fat. :emoji_angry:
View attachment 513991
So I thought I'd render some of it down and maybe get some use out of it.
I don't use it for sausage.
It's been in a crock pot for about 3 hours and is starting to beak down.View attachment 513993
Assuming it works, remind me again what it can be used for and what sort of a container should I use?

Do you happen to hunt or get your hands on wild game meat very often?
If so it comes in handy as ground fat for a number of non-sausage options in that case.

Never tried it in a slow cooker. I just throw it in a covered saucepan or Dutch oven on the stovetop. Low heat for several hours.

Might have to try the slow cooker.
I tried it because I saw it mentioned in another post and figured it would be easier.
I didn't realize how many hours were needed.....

OK, it's done.
I cooked it for hours and I gave up for the day and stuck in the fridge overnight to start again this morning.
It reached a point where nothing more would render and the fat that wouldn't render just deep fried.
I wound up with a pint of it and some fried fat. Smells really good!
rendering.jpg separate.jpg juice.jpg
jar.jpg both.jpg cooled.jpg
Maybe I should have done it from the get-go on the low setting.
It takes a lot longer than I anticipated.
No worries; I wound up with a pint of tallow and some crunchy fat that I just couldn't toss out.
I'll think of something to use it for.
It lightens up and hardens after cooling.
:emoji_laughing:
I'm thinking it would be great to brown off a chuckie before doing a pot roast.
All in all a nice experiment to use something I usually throw away

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky