BEEF SHORT RIBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
I was so impressed to see a recent post about the beef short ribs so I went to the butcher shop and this is what they gave me. Sure wasnt what I had in mind! Various thickness of the pieces. Really wanted a slab instead. $17 for 2# worth of pieces.
I have an MES-30 and the Amazen.
I have no idea how to prepare these pieces. Probably be a Monday smoke with some Montreal seasoning.

Any suggestions?
BEEF SHORT RIBS 9-16-18.jpg

I did some just like that a few months back. Taste was good but meat was tough. I think I needed to take them to 200+ or wrap them with some Sauce to break it down.

I managed to get a deal on short ribs the other day for about $2.50/lb. I do not cook the ribs on a smoker because I have never been able to get them tender, so these days I always braise them, and develop a sauce that is a winner with the wife. She still brings up the short ribs I made for her on Valentine's Day a couple of years ago, so you might give braising a try if you are nor happy with smoking them.

Short ribs have good beefy flavor, but IMO need to be braised to be tender. I suppose that once braised you could smoke them, keeping the ribs in braising liquid of course. Short ribs, like many other cuts of beef were once cheap, but too many trendy chefs have pushed the price up.

When we can get them I smoke them the same way I do brisket. On the smoker until it reaches about 165* then foiled in a pan with liquid of choice until just tender, and finally back on the smoker to finish.

Chris

Those are fine for braising and can make a really great meal. Try the one in the signature below.

Matt

Last edited:
Well, After the previous comments I decided to braise them instead of smoke. As it turned out it was the most expensive pile of bones I ever bought! We each had about 3 mouthfuls of fatty meat then it was all bones. "Never More" as Poe once said!
Tri-tip's rule!

Let's discuss how your cook went and maybe uncover why it didn't go the way you hoped?

Hmm... it may have been the meet needed to render more which is what I discovered, ergo now using a crockpot for low and slow. Your photo of the ribs looks somewhat typical of those I see in our local grocer (and have used). They should have been able to produce a very good dish especially if the remaining liquid is strained and worked into a gravy. I wouldn't give up. It took me a second go to get the results I was expecting in the recipe below.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky