Beef Shank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HHYak

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2019
Due to unforseen circumstances I have added a 5.6lb beef shank roast (which I've never cooked before) to my Christmas dino ribs cook. I was planning on doing the dino ribs at 225 or 250. I cant seem to find a good ballpark on what the cook time for the shank might be. Any tips or tricks on the shank and cook time would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221223_170504.jpg
    20221223_170504.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 14
  • Wow
Reactions: negolien
Beef shank benefits greatly from braising. I've never smoked it, but on the smoker, I'd salt and pepper it, put it in a pan with beef broth or some other liquid, and smoke it uncovered for an hour or two and then covered until falling apart. Keep a check on the liquid level and add as necessary. It will get smoky and then fall apart tender. Whole cook time would be 4-5 hours at 275°F, I imagine, but cook until pull apart tender.

My 2 cents...

Reactions: HHYak and rdknb
You can smoke cross cut shank for a couple of hours, then braise.
If you only smoke, you may be disappointed.
Braising sauce should probably be a chile and/or tomato based sauce.
You can see my recipe in following link, which I may have posted here before.

Oops, just noticed that you had a 5 lb roast, not cross cut so much thicker.
I probably would do diagonal scores, dry brine/rub, smoke for maybe 3 or 4 hours until starting to brown (don't let dry out), then braise (aluminum pan plus foil top, or dutch oven) and slow cook another 2 or 3 hours. Interested to see the results of whatever you decide.

Reactions: negolien and HHYak
We smoke whole Beef shank pretty often, about 250ish for about 7 hours.
We do not use liquid,but may wrap in foil for the last hour or so.
Rub of choice and on a rack in a foil pan.
I do baste the shank with the drippings. comes out great to our crowd.

some pics if I can remember how.

20181129_184836-XL.jpg

20181129_184808-XL.jpg

20181129_184650-XL.jpg

20181129_184643-XL.jpg

20181129_104052-XL.jpg

Any Q, feel free to ask and have a great Christmas

Last edited:
Reactions: HHYak and mike243
You can smoke cross cut shank for a couple of hours, then braise.
If you only smoke, you may be disappointed.
Braising sauce should probably be a chile and/or tomato based sauce.
You can see my recipe in following link, which I may have posted here before.

Nice. I just watched your Fire Roasted Beef Broth video. That was good. Might make an interesting take on a bowl of Pho

Reactions: HHYak
Thank you all very much for the tips! Titch Titch that looks great, looking forward to trying this now!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky