Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Want to smoke 2 packs of Costco ribs this Sat. Looked at a few recipes on here and most folks do 225 to 250for about 4.5 hrs. Looked at A. franklin's book and he smokes at 285 for 8 to 9 hrs?? I have only done them once before on my Kamado and that was for about 5hrs. What is the best time and temp fot the MB gasser?
Thanks

Are you sure the 4.5 hour recipes aren't for baby backs? I prefer lower and slower so I would be closer to the 240-250 range and cook to temp and not time. Guessing 8 hours is a fair starting point but may go to 10-12.

I'm sure the recommendations will vary. Good luck!

I am under the assumption the beef ribs I buy here are much smaller with less meat than what Franklin has access to in Texas. I read the same thing that it should take 8 hours. First couple beef ribs I did I cooked at 280-300 and in 2 hours the IT was 207° and the tooth pick went through it like butter... Not sure what the difference is as I just started getting access to beef ribs, but hey they tasted great.

I am under the assumption the beef ribs I buy here are much smaller with less meat than what Franklin has access to in Texas. I read the same thing that it should take 8 hours. First couple beef ribs I did I cooked at 280-300 and in 2 hours the IT was 207° and the tooth pick went through it like butter... Not sure what the difference is as I just started getting access to beef ribs, but hey they tasted great.

Those sound like back ribs. Short/plate ribs take about 8 1/2 hours for me at 225-250.

On my WSM I smoke them at about 250*. After I start to see pull back on the bone I'll foil them in beef broth and whatever else I have taste for that day. They'll stay foiled for about an hour or so then they come out of the foil and back on the grate. When they are probe tender I'll pull and serve. Time is dependent on how meaty they are. So all in all I'm closer to Franklins time.

Chris

Just picked up some beef ribs and researching... I have Franklin's book and yes he gets a specific rib cut bregent bregent
(from the plate) and it's a much bigger cut hence the long cook time. Mine are back ribs and quite small. Doubt it will take more than a few hours. Totally stoked. Never see these around. Paid $5/lb.

Just picked up some beef ribs and researching... I have Franklin's book and yes he gets a specific rib cut bregent bregent
(from the plate) and it's a much bigger cut hence the long cook time. Mine are back ribs and quite small. Doubt it will take more than a few hours. Totally stoked. Never see these around. Paid $5/lb.

Small ones???
These are the Smallest I got:
Prime Rib "Dino" Ribs

Bear

Want to smoke 2 packs of Costco ribs this Sat. Looked at a few recipes on here and most folks do 225 to 250for about 4.5 hrs. Looked at A. franklin's book and he smokes at 285 for 8 to 9 hrs?? I have only done them once before on my Kamado and that was for about 5hrs. What is the best time and temp fot the MB gasser?
Thanks

I rarely come across good beef ribs at a reasonable price. I did my first hot an fast basically like Franklin does. Here is my post and know that I tried a little trick so I wouldn't have to spritz the ribs to keep the meat ends from drying up and the trick worked perfectly! Also I smoke in an MES so no need for a water pan, your smoker setup will be a bit different than mine :)
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/1st-time-beef-ribs-with-new-technique-and-qview.272619/

There seem to be some questions as to what ribs you are smoking, I did beef plate ribs (nothing like those crappy beef back ribs). See some pics here:

I just bought beef back ribs for 2.29 a pound. They are shiners. I talked to the butcher and he said he will hook me up with plate ribs for 3.49 a pound. He only butchers 1 steer a week and he will save them for me. It’s great to know a mom and pop butcher!!!!

I just bought beef back ribs for 2.29 a pound. They are shiners. I talked to the butcher and he said he will hook me up with plate ribs for 3.49 a pound. He only butchers 1 steer a week and he will save them for me. It’s great to know a mom and pop butcher!!!!

That's Definitely a Plus!!
And that's a good price, especially from a Small Butcher Shop.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky