Beef Ribs/ person?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Smoking some Costco beef ribs for my B. D. party but I need some help on amount per person. We are a bunch of old fools in our 70s. Any ideas. Also the time for beef ribs? A. Franklin says about 12 hrs but I see a lot of threads here that are for about 5 to6 hrs of cook time??
Thanks

Reactions: kruizer
I’d say one rib per person as long as you have a few sides. I do beef ribs quite often and I’d say for me it takes anywhere from 6 to 8 hrs (I also wrap in butcher paper) on the smoker and then rest them for at least an hour. If you wrap them in a towel and put them in a cooler they will stay warm for up to 3 hrs.

Reactions: sandyut
Are you doing short ribs or back ribs? Assuming short ribs 1 each will feed a hearty eater. I did some hot and fast this past weekend in right around 5 hours with no wrap. I spritzed with a mix of vinegar and hot sauce to keep them moist I ran my charcoal cabinet at 300F and took them to 205F. They were like butter and had plenty of smoke.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That depends on the type, size and cut of the beef ribs.
For typical Beef Back ribs I'd say two, for Chuck or Plate short ribs you can do one.
This is for ribs cut lengthwise.

I don't know about cook time for Beef Back ribs as I don't bother with them.
Racks of Chuck or Plate shorts cooked at 275°> will take an average 6-9 hours until tender and rendered to buttery deliciousness.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
If they look like this, one rib per person is plenty.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FPDHZcUo.jpg&hash=1a1772ece223295578ac3f52033312f3
1600787355292.jpeg

Al

Reactions: JJS and Bearcarver
The Beef Back Ribs typically look like Bare Bones with a little bit of meat in between. They are OK if you catch a good Sale or are lite eaters. My crew splits one rack between two people. And I can kill a rack myself.:emoji_flushed: :emoji_laughing:
They take about 5-6 hours at 225-250...JJ

1600800248666.png

Reactions: jcam222
The ones I just did from Sam's Club were whole short ribs. I struggled to get through one with eating a decent amount of sides.
0920202016a.jpg
0920201927.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
The Beef Back Ribs typically look like Bare Bones with a little bit of meat in between. They are OK if you catch a good Sale or are lite eaters. My crew splits one rack between two people. And I can kill a rack myself.:emoji_flushed: :emoji_laughing:
They take about 5-6 hours at 225-250...JJ

View attachment 464264

And they should be ashamed for selling Bones like that, unless it's for a couple of Dogs. Hard to believe how they can get every last bit of meat off of them bones!!!

Bear

Well there is an alternative solution. Buy some cheap london broil steaks, smoke them and then grind them up to a fine to consistency in a food processor. After mix in some au jus and some runny mash potatoes and serve it in your finest Sunday go to meeting glasses. Then you can save the ribs for yourself, and they can pig out on however much they want to. Sorry, I just had a flashback from when a friend of mine broke his jaw and had to eat thru a straw.

I would say two ribs per person, with a couple extra's for those with healthier appetites.

Chris

I made some chuck short ribs a few weeks ago. One per person was plenty - but we had two each anyway and stuffed ourselves because they are so damned good. They took between 6 and 7 hours at 250F on a pellet grill.

Soooo I went to Costco and bought beef ribs today. Not what I have bought there before, these are chuck ribs I think. About 1.5in. thick and 12 in. long. Last time I bought ribs at Costco they were plate ribs, shorter and at least 2.5 in. thick, the ones I wanted. Gonna cook them for my B.D. anyway. 1.5 ribs / person and smoke for about 4 to 5 hrs.
Thanks for the input.
Dale

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky