Beef ribs on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hambone1950

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Metrowest Boston , ma.
I had picked up a package of beef back ribs during all the grocery runs leading up to Christmas , and I decided to smoke them yesterday. They were a buck 77 per pound which is cheap , but realistically you're paying for a lotta bones.....but I like these. And one of the racks was fairly meaty.

So , I made a batch of meatheads big bad beef rub from the amazing ribs site and I used that on one rack. The other I used A-1 rub which I like.http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...323322ab2bf18c3fb983007030d8a_zps8d2349a6.jpg

It was a nice day here in the Boston burbs (about 40 degrees) but it was a little windy so I decided to set up in the garage to be out of the wind.http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...49ced2b6f8823e2384c7da4a43945_zps03224de4.jpg

i used a mix of briquettes and lump this time.....had a lot of tiny pieces in the bottom of that bag of frontier lump I bought a while back. I lined the bottom of the grate with briquettes , threw in a couple chunks of oak for smoke and then poured the lump on. I figured the briqs would keep all the tiny pieces from falling thru the grate.....threw a third of a chimney of lit on top and off we go.
http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...6b1a76a711f82c5953f0217273ad5_zps92610700.jpg
ok , I cooked these at 250 for about 4 hours total...The smoker cruised at 250 the whole time....I made a few minor vent adjustments along the way but nothing major. No water in the pan , just my foil wrapped fire brick for a heat sink.

After about 3 hours I foiled these and put them back on for another hour. When I figured they'd had enough heat , I took them in and let them rest for a half hour....
Here's the pre sauced pic....

Post sauce pic.....

Plated pic....served with some leftover garlic smashed spuds......

These ribs were fantastic ! Smoky , beefy , meaty , not quite fall off the bone.
both rubs were good , but I still like the A-1 the best. I sauced one rack with open pit(which is sweeties fave) and the other got slapped with some HEB brand beef sauce from Texas and that was very good...had a nice sneaky little burn to it.
I had these leftover today for lunch and they tasted even better ! Probably because I wasn't all wound up about trying to cook them right and deal with the smoker too , but they were really nice.

Look great! My wife and I love a nice rack of beef ribs. Plus they are fun to eat with the giant rib bones. 
Looks-Great.gif

Reactions: hambone1950
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky