• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beef ribs on the WSM

hambone1950

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2012
I had picked up a package of beef back ribs during all the grocery runs leading up to Christmas , and I decided to smoke them yesterday. They were a buck 77 per pound which is cheap , but realistically you're paying for a lotta bones.....but I like these. And one of the racks was fairly meaty.

So , I made a batch of meatheads big bad beef rub from the amazing ribs site and I used that on one rack. The other I used A-1 rub which I like.http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj520/FrankH1950/beef%20ribs%20WSM/?action=view¤t=8e3323322ab2bf18c3fb983007030d8a_zps8d2349a6.jpg

It was a nice day here in the Boston burbs (about 40 degrees) but it was a little windy so I decided to set up in the garage to be out of the wind.http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj520/FrankH1950/beef%20ribs%20WSM/?action=view¤t=61449ced2b6f8823e2384c7da4a43945_zps03224de4.jpg

i used a mix of briquettes and lump this time.....had a lot of tiny pieces in the bottom of that bag of frontier lump I bought a while back. I lined the bottom of the grate with briquettes , threw in a couple chunks of oak for smoke and then poured the lump on. I figured the briqs would keep all the tiny pieces from falling thru the grate.....threw a third of a chimney of lit on top and off we go.
http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj520/FrankH1950/beef%20ribs%20WSM/?action=view¤t=4266b1a76a711f82c5953f0217273ad5_zps92610700.jpg
ok , I cooked these at 250 for about 4 hours total...The smoker cruised at 250 the whole time....I made a few minor vent adjustments along the way but nothing major. No water in the pan , just my foil wrapped fire brick for a heat sink.

After about 3 hours I foiled these and put them back on for another hour. When I figured they'd had enough heat , I took them in and let them rest for a half hour....
Here's the pre sauced pic....

Post sauce pic.....

Plated pic....served with some leftover garlic smashed spuds......

These ribs were fantastic ! Smoky , beefy , meaty , not quite fall off the bone.
both rubs were good , but I still like the A-1 the best. I sauced one rack with open pit(which is sweeties fave) and the other got slapped with some HEB brand beef sauce from Texas and that was very good...had a nice sneaky little burn to it.
I had these leftover today for lunch and they tasted even better ! Probably because I wasn't all wound up about trying to cook them right and deal with the smoker too , but they were really nice.

duffman

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 15, 2010
Look great! My wife and I love a nice rack of beef ribs. Plus they are fun to eat with the giant rib bones. 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.