Beef prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When I made the comments that I did... it was about the packers making bank! In my opinion, very unfair to the farmers raising the cattle. While the owners of the packs are making tons, none of this is passed onto the farmers who do all the work! Lucky to break even in this day and age. Probably be better off staying in the house watching cartoons...can't lose as much money that way. But wait... the government is gonna look into the beef prices... nope , found nothing wrong... imagine that.
I apologize a little for being sarcastic with some of my comments. But I grew up living the life. So to all you beef producers...thank you!

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
When I made the comments that I did... it was about the packers making bank! In my opinion, very unfair to the farmers raising the cattle. While the owners of the packs are making tons, none of this is passed onto the farmers who do all the work! Lucky to break even in this day and age. Probably be better off staying in the house watching cartoons...can't lose as much money that way. But wait... the government is gonna look into the beef prices... nope , found nothing wrong... imagine that.
I apologize a little for being sarcastic with some of my comments. But I grew up living the life. So to all you beef producers...thank you!

Ryan
Thank you. Most of the farmers (myself included) I know do it because we enjoy working cattle. While I do see some half starved animals in the stock pens, most of us take the best care of our stock as we can, even if it's at a loss, because it's the right thing to do.

Thank you. Most of the farmers (myself included) I know do it because we enjoy working cattle. While I do see some half starved animals in the stock pens, most of us take the best care of our stock as we can, even if it's at a loss, because it's the right thing to do.
Right now, 1 out of the 10 to 12 cattle ranchers I know aren't even eating their own beefs.
Because the money they are making per head is so crazy high, it's cheaper for them to buy prime beef at Costco, Sam's or the restaurant supply store in town. Even the few that have 12 to 15,000 acre ranches, and they aren't exactly hurting for money.:emoji_astonished:🤑🤑🤑

Right now, 1 out of the 10 to 12 cattle ranchers I know aren't even eating their own beefs.
Because the money they are making per head is so crazy high, it's cheaper for them to buy prime beef at Costco, Sam's or the restaurant supply store in town. Even the few that have 12 to 15,000 acre ranches, and they aren't exactly hurting for money.:emoji_astonished:🤑🤑🤑
Last beef I had butchered cost me about $135 for my half (not counting hay and feed, etc). Aged, butchered,vac sealed, etc. There is no way I can do better by selling it and buying beef at retail. Maybe big time commercial farmers can, but it doesn't work that way for us small operations.

Reactions: chopsaw
Most of the farmers (myself included) I know do it because we enjoy working cattle.
I always go with the guy that has hands on experience , compared to the " guy that knows a guy " . So I hear what you're saying . I know nothing about it , but where I used to deer hunt they lease it out to cattle . Cuba Missouri , cow town USA . My buddy has 120 acres , and the guy that runs the cattle works his freakin backside off . Makes his living as a school teacher . There's been days when I've been down there , and stopped what I'm there for to help him mend fences . It's just a ton of work for him . He told me he makes money on stud fees with his bull and selling calves . The rest go to market .

Reactions: DougE
I always go with the guy that has hands on experience , compared to the " guy that knows a guy " . So I hear what you're saying . I know nothing about it , but where I used to deer hunt they lease it out to cattle . Cuba Missouri , cow town USA . My buddy has 120 acres , and the guy that runs the cattle works his freakin backside off . Makes his living as a school teacher . There's been days when I've been down there , and stopped what I'm there for to help him mend fences . It's just a ton of work for him . He told me he makes money on stud fees with his bull and selling calves . The rest go to market .
Where I hunt, in Eastern WA, the cattle ranchers let their herds graze on state land, when it's not hunting season. Occasionally, I have come across a stray cow, and wondered if someone with lesser scruples might try to "tag" it.

Where I hunt, in Eastern WA, the cattle ranchers let their herds graze on state land, when it's not hunting season. Occasionally, I have come across a stray cow, and wondered if someone with lesser scruples might try to "tag" it.
Some of our Mong community tag my friends beef cows every year. He lost 18 head last year!!!!

That 1 rancher has a home run market, and this game is all about markets. Here rail price for beef from farm to processor are right at $3.00 lb that’s on the rail, not the hoof, so processing is 0.90 cents a pound plus the $60.00 kill fee. That’s all in cut wrapped in your freezer at about $4.00 per pound of rail weight.

Here is the latest cattle report from our sale yard.

653C212A-19E7-4F82-8FF3-B019E0442988.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky