BEEF PRICES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gas prices here range anywhere from 2.05 to 2.18(yesterdays prices), and beef is still extremely high. I priced out a tbone the other day and for a thin cut(1/2") they wanted 12.50 for it. A few months ago that same bone would have been 6.99. Chicken and pork is reasonable at most grocers. Once in a while you can find a good deal in the dog food section of the meat dept.(aka managers special).

Chris

Gas prices here range anywhere from 2.05 to 2.18(yesterdays prices), and beef is still extremely high. I priced out a tbone the other day and for a thin cut(1/2") they wanted 12.50 for it. A few months ago that same bone would have been 6.99. Chicken and pork is reasonable at most grocers. Once in a while you can find a good deal in the dog food section of the meat dept.(aka managers special).

Chris
That's how oir steak prices are right now. I used to go past all the fresh seafood because it was too high priced. Now its way cheaper than a steak dinner!

Good find Travis, meat prices are generally back to pre virus prices here , gas is up about 50 cents from last month though.

Any way ive been seeing a trend around here and it works out to my advantage.. Prices are way way up and nobody is buying . so what happens? They mark them way down to damn neer free! Its crazy.

This has absolutely been the case in my area.Almost all the meat I've been buying has the "managers special" sticker on it.

Good find Travis, meat prices are generally back to pre virus prices here , gas is up about 50 cents from last month though.
I wish ours were all back to normal. They are getting closer . fingers crossed.
This has absolutely been the case in my area.Almost all the meat I've been buying has the "managers special" sticker on it.
yep, here they used to have a dedicated spot for stuff marked down. Now there is so much of it it's spread out all over the place.

I glanced at the beef this morning while shopping. The prices are double+ what they were before covid. Even the pork prices were way up: $4-$6 / lb. Chicken and turkey were normal. Ground beef was scarce.

The canned soup aisle was stripped bare. Weird. Last week it was normal. I heard something about a soup shortage within the last few days, so looks like the freak outs went shopping. I just make my own from scratch. So friggin' easy.

The canned soup aisle was stripped bare. Weird. Last week it was normal. I heard something about a soup shortage within the last few days, so looks like the freak outs went shopping. I just make my own from scratch. So friggin' easy.

Our soup aisle is also bare. I'm not sure of a soup shortage, but I've heard of a can shortage.

Chris

I glanced at the beef this morning while shopping. The prices are double+ what they were before covid. Even the pork prices were way up: $4-$6 / lb. Chicken and turkey were normal. Ground beef was scarce.

For us one week the ground beef is all gone....the next its soup.....then bread....and so on. It's never the same week to week but there is always something striped clean...

Beef prices were crazy, I have not been to my restaurant depot in a while but last time I paid $18/lb for full tenderloins and spent a bunch of time cleaning them up and trimming. I probably ended up at $22/lb when done, the things I do for my father. On a good note, Tri-tips were still $5.99lb trimmed, picked up 7 of those.

For us one week the ground beef is all gone....the next its soup.....then bread....and so on. It's never the same week to week but there is always something striped clean...
I think most stores don't re-stock as often as we think they do. Meijer and Target come to mind.
I've seen Meijer out of something simple (like soup or black pepper) for weeks.

Beef prices were crazy, I have not been to my restaurant depot in a while but last time I paid $18/lb for full tenderloins and spent a bunch of time cleaning them up and trimming. I probably ended up at $22/lb when done, the things I do for my father. On a good note, Tri-tips were still $5.99lb trimmed, picked up 7 of those.
My local grocer has whole beef tenderloin for 8.99lb

My Sons a grocery clerk , and if they get a truck they can stock . If not they can't . Trucks showing up when they are supposed to is hit and miss . Then a late truck shows up on top of a scheduled truck and they have stuff everywhere .
Some of the stuff you're seeing in volume , are things from weeks ago just now arriving . That's part of the reason you see it fluctuate from week to week with different items .

Went to Sam's today.
Some of the beef was back to normal.
Anything on "instant saving" was wiped out.
Got a decent bottom round that will be cured for dried beef.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I found this in Winco last week. Sorry for the poor pic ( I just pulled it out of the freezer), but apparently some newbie in the meat dept doesn't know the difference between beef tri-tip, and pork loin chops.
20200718_194131.jpg

Tri-tip was 3 times that price.

Reactions: chilerelleno
I'd be on that all day! This reminds me of one of my favorite ground beef mix-ins to make burgers with, I like to finely mince some red onion, add in some teriyaki sauce, and then a light sprinkle of cheddar. Just a really delicious burger that gets a nice char from the sugars in the yaki sauce

Unfortunately this is just the beginning of what will be consistently high prices for a long time to come. Hope chest freezers are full!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky