Beef Phở

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Beef Phở
Decided to make some Beef Pho for dinner today.
Ran by Costco looking for the beef and decided to go with some boneless Chuck Short Rib.
Brought it home and got it partially frozen and sliced it thin.

NzKiRJQ.jpg

Dropped into one of my local Vietnamese/Asian grocers and gathered fresh rice noodles, a variety of fresh herbs, Mung beans, green onions, limes, some Oyster mushrooms.
Yes, I know the mushrooms aren't usually in Pho, but like them sauteed and added in.

Cheated a good bit building the beef broth with some Better than Bullion, Roasted Beef base', tossed in some charred onion and charred ginger, a couple cloves of garlic and sachet filled with star anise, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel and coriander seed.
2 gal Beef Broth
1 med white onion, quartered and charred
1 large section of fresh Ginger, chopped and charred
2 cloves garlic
3-4 star anise
4-6 Cloves
1/2 stick cinnamon
1 Black cardamom
2T each Coriander and Fennel seed

IsrfOvjl.jpg

Let the aromatics (onion/ginger) do their thing for 20 minutes and removed them, the spice sachet came out 20 minutes later.
Added a little sugar for a touch of sweetness, and then a small palmful of salt to taste.

Got all my herbs and other add-ons ready to go, including an evil looking Peach Reaper 73saint 73saint sent me.
Whats Pho without some nice spicy heat to it? Of course that's just my personal preference

Peach Reaper
XyhsefF.jpg

PDwPSKz.jpg

Left to Right, Spearmint, Cilantro and Thai Basil
jiLgyam.jpg

Let each person choose how much noodles they want, give them a quick blanch, add meat and boiling Pho broth and then it's Build Your Own' with the Add-ons.

Oh Yeah!

cA4Buuc.jpg

I ate the whole reaper in that one bowl and it was fantastic, I didn't even need the lime it had so much citrus flavor.
And the heat was great, I was sweating up a storm and my lips were burning, much nicer flavor/heat than any combo of Sriracha/chiles.
My thanks to 73saint 73saint for making this one of the best bowls of Pho ever.

Last edited:
I'm going to do this again soon, but with a different cut of beef, something very tender.
Cubed brisket is often a choice at Pho restaurants, and other very tender cuts.
Maybe some shaved tenderloin?

Nice Pho Pho Fusion.
Not sure where the heat star originated, but I've know many Thai and Vietnamese people that complained I like my food way to hot for their taste. The reaper would send them ...

Hmm, usually any cut of beef shaved thin will cook and tenderize in the hot pot.
A very flavorful cut of beef is traditional. Tenderloin is nice, but unless prime a bit lacking in the beefy flavor to my tongue.
Strip loin works great for the tender and flavor.
Can you get tendons? Amazing the flavor they add to the soup

I love Pho. I don't have a recipe to share. Never written it down. My preference is less anise and using true cinnamon (Ceylon) in the spice ensemble which is the trademark of Pho

Reactions: chilerelleno
That looks awesome! I’m going to bookmark and try this with the konjac noodles I use. Very nice Chile!
Thanks!
You gotta be phó king kidding me. Looks delicious
LOL... Thanks.
Awesome!I love the selection of spices! The combination of star anise, cinnamon, coriander, and fennel WOW!! I LOVE IT!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_sunglasses:
Thanks, classic Pho spice mix.
Whats in the pic is good for up to 2gal of broth, just put in a sachet and steep in the broth for 30-45 minutes.
Looks great chili! I’ve never had a peach reaper, I’ll have to look for some of those.
Thank you.
Reapers are one of the tastiest chiles.

Chile...I'm at a loss for words my friend. That looks amazing. I love Asian food and I'm not particular what it is...as long as it's loaded with flavors. I can't help but think the flavor profile and complexity of this would be a truly world class effort. I'm impressed beyond words. The only thing I can say is "why isn't this on the carousel??" :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice Pho Pho Fusion.
Not sure where the heat star originated, but I've know many Thai and Vietnamese people that complained I like my food way to hot for their taste. The reaper would send them ...

Hmm, usually any cut of beef shaved thin will cook and tenderize in the hot pot.
A very flavorful cut of beef is traditional. Tenderloin is nice, but unless prime a bit lacking in the beefy flavor to my tongue.
Strip loin works great for the tender and flavor.
Can you get tendons? Amazing the flavor they add to the soup

I love Pho. I don't have a recipe to share. Never written it down. My preference is less anise and using true cinnamon (Ceylon) in the spice ensemble which is the trademark of Pho
You're correct Pho is not traditionally made spicy hot.
But for sure there are a helluva'lot of Asian chileheads.

I can get Tendon from a couple of local butchers if I call about a week ahead. Or I can just go to Pot Au Pho and order tendon or any other of a dozen plus meat choices.

Ceylon was a choice, but I grabbed the Saigon as it is older and needs to be used up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky