Beef Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chubbuckdoctor

Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Chubbuck, ID
My wife and I started a new diet in October where we do not eat a lot of carbs and we also eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. We mostly have the 3 main meals and then snacks. One of my favorite snacks is jerky and dehydrated apple slices. So, logically, I have to make some, smoke some.

I went to the local butcher, Bi-Lo's and asked for London broil because that was what I saw recommended here. Unfortunately, he did not have any so I used top round. I had the butcher slice it on the diagonal. I laughed because I asked for the pieces to be about 1/4 inch flat and about 1 inch wide. They turned out to be about 1/2-3/4 inch square strips. 

I started with 6 lbs. 

Large batch (5 lbs) I marinated with

1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce

1/2 cup soy sauce

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup salt

1/2 heaping teaspoon cure#1

sprinkle of balsamic vinegar (why?? I don't know, It smelled good when I was going through my cupboards)

Small batch

1/2 cup orange sauce from Panda Express

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup salt

1/4 teaspoon cure#1

put both in zip-locks and let sit in the fridge from Wednesday night to Saturday at lunch. Massaged the meat 5-6 times daily.

Cooking

I hung the meat on skewers from the top rack of my smoker. 

Heat:

Pre-heat 20 minutes, 110 degrees for 2 hours to dry the meat some, 150 for two hours with smoke of hickory and mesquite to improve the flavor, then 180 until done.

I started cooking around 1pm and finally pulled the meat at 12:30. I was planning on it taking 5-8 hours, but I think it took so long because the meat was pretty thick.

12:30

The front row is the small batch. The back rows turned out very shiny. Probably the sugar at work.

I did have to run my hand under the strips and push them out of the drip pan.

I let it sit on the counter for the night to dry more. I cut everything into mostly bite size pieces and then froze most and brought the rest to work for my snacks.

Conclusion.

The small batch - I was trying to make a hotter batch for my step-son. Turned out terrible. Way, way to salty. I should have added peppers to the marinade and some sugar and cut the salt. Will have to do more research for this.

Large batch - Loved it. I even like having the thicker pieces. I will try thinner next time just to see how it works but the larger is nice. Good to the bite. Wonderful flavor. The smoke flavor gets even better when it sits on the counter for a few hours.

I am very grate to this site and all those wonderful Ideas that I was able to incorporate into my process. It worked very well. Thanks again.

Parting questions

1. Any suggestions on a why my small batch failed and what can I do to improve?

2. Any other flavor ideas. I like the teriyaki but I do not want to get tired of it. Ideas?

3. Does anyone cook their marinade first and then cool it before they put the meat in? I just mixed and dumped.

Looks great, small and large batch your recipe used same amount of salt so like you said reduce that some, I do it a different way??  I make my mix up all dry (usually Hi-Country brand), and use a large salt shaker, and layer beef in casserole dish like 9x13 and first layer season both sides, rest of the layers just the top. push the saran wrap down and try to get all air out, then let it sit overnight, next morning put in smoker, turns out great each time, I use thinner strips than you  did, those large chunks I would marinate also, I was always told you are tryin to get the water out of the jerky, why soak it in it?? Made since to me, old Mt Man told me this years ago.

Very nice lookin jerky,

Hey Doc........although I like the looks of your finished jerky, I do agree with Driedstick's way to do jerky. A buddy of mine in the Bay Area (CA) that used to own a butcher shop and smoke house told me the same thing about soaking the meat verses a dry cure over night. It works the best for me........

Brad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky