1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beef For Sammies ~ Foamheart

Discussion in 'Beef' started by foamheart, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM.

1. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You saw the beginning of this yesterday when I smoked it with the ribs. I smoked it to 135 IT, its ran to 140 while resting. Its sat in the fridge over night and today after an hour in the freezer I sliced it. I sure wish I had a slicer....LOL

I started with......

IMG_9325.JPG

I smoked it with company (it might have got lonesome).

IMG_9334.JPG

Smoked at 230 with all apple. Chilled over night, then sliced today after sharpening knives.

IMG_9347.JPG

Pretty huh? This little roast A little over 4 lbs. did all this! PLus allll I ate!

IMG_9351.JPG

Did a bit of Vac-Sealing magic.......

IMG_9353.JPG

Those are all a bit over 1/2 pound bags. Plus all I ate.....LOL (which was substantial). and I have a bowlful set aside for sammies today.

Nothing special or hard just good stuff. I'll add the sammie later when I do it.

gmc2003, disco, crazymoon and 10 others like this.
  2. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Brother Kevin I think ya'll did a fine job with that knife.But next time do it right bring it here and use my slicer.
    Richie

3. That roast beast sure came out great! It's got really nice color.

4. Looks great and nice trussing. Well known fact that trussing makes meats taste better.

5. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks real nice from here, Foamy my Man!!
    I guess you know by now, I love Beef Sammies!!!

Bear

6. foamheart

Thank you Richie. Next time I'll run up there.

When I get any lunch meat at the deli, I always get it sliced thin to shaved thickness. It just tastes better.

7. foamheart

Thank you. My first one, usually not much of a beef eater. BUT this stuff tastes as good as it smells. That Bear knows a good thing when he sees it.

8. foamheart

Thank you.

Tying it up was always Pop's thing. He said it helped maintain density thru-out while cooking. I did it because I was going to make sandwich meat and wanted the finished product more oval than flat.

9. Scott Eisenbraun

Scott Eisenbraun Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice deep smoke ring on that meat. Just right doneness for sandwiches, and French dips.

10. foamheart

Thanks Bear.

I should have done this sooner, you never lead me wrong before. I just have never been a big beef eater. But this is really delicious stuff.

11. foamheart

Thank you.

I would have never thought it could taste as good as it smells, it being beef. BUT to my happy surprize it might even taste better if its possible.

12. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic

That stuff looks good

13. foamheart

Thank you. If Da Bear says its one of his most favorites you know its good stuff. If you have not tried it yet don't wait around like I did. Move it up to the top of your smoking bucket list. Its unbelievable, my hands smell so good even after washing after I sliced it. If I was even the least hungry I would bite 'em. Just remember to slice that roast beast up super thin to win!

14. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks delicious!
    I'd be lovin that with some smoky horseradish sauce in a sammie.
    Drool, drool, drool!

15. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Awesome looking stuff for some sammies. If you don't want to drive all the way to Richie's I'm closer so you can just stop and also use slicer. :D

Warren

16. foamheart

Thank you.

I generally like Horse radish on my prime rib, but today I tried it on this beef, pretty good stuff.

17. foamheart

Thank you.

I just gotta get off my butt and shop a slicer.

18. foamheart

Oh and BTW. Supper tonight?

IMG_9356.JPG

That is the smoked beef, Provolone cheese, grilled green bell peppers & onions, topped with prepared horse radish and some AuJus dipping sauce.

It was ok, but next time there'll be less fluff and just beef and bread so I can enjoy that smoked beef taste better.

crazymoon and SonnyE like this.
  19. I had a inexpensive chef choice something or other and I despised it. I finally broke down and bought a 6" KWS and am thrilled. Spendy yes! Quality yes! Slicing quality is head and shoulders above the previous slicer. Like comparing a 2x4 to a sushi chef's knife.

20. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I dunno Uncle Goldie, when you get you a slicer, the roast beef, Provolone Cheese, Green Peppers, and Onions, can all fall to the new slicer you are shopping for.

After I got my slicer, I was looking for whole sorts of stuff to slice with it at Sam's Club.
    Scarce as hen's teeth they are. At least around me.
    But dang, you'll be looking for ways to play with your new slicer. LOL!

Put the fluff as a side and mix and match in your mouth. Some might accuse you of playing with your food.
    I see it as culinary experimenting to find the new ratios that suit your tastes. :confused:

I know, that sounds like hens scratching to peck grain out of the droppings... o_O
    LMAO! :emoji_laughing: