Beef For Sammies ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I dunno Uncle Goldie, when you get you a slicer, the roast beef, Provolone Cheese, Green Peppers, and Onions, can all fall to the new slicer you are shopping for.

After I got my slicer, I was looking for whole sorts of stuff to slice with it at Sam's Club.
Scarce as hen's teeth they are. At least around me.
But dang, you'll be looking for ways to play with your new slicer. LOL!

Put the fluff as a side and mix and match in your mouth. Some might accuse you of playing with your food.
I see it as culinary experimenting to find the new ratios that suit your tastes. :confused:

I know, that sounds like hens scratching to peck grain out of the droppings... o_O
LMAO! :emoji_laughing:

I really enjoy the cutting, slicing, chopping, mincing, etc.... Sort of gives me enjoyment. I just can't cut all day or slice meat evenly, consistently even with a sharp knife. I just can't get it thin enough. I actually stopped yesterday and sharpened all the knives I thought I might use to slice it. No being a pro, I never know which will best suit my purposes.

IMG_9346.JPG

And then didn't use any of them.

IMG_9347.JPG

I like my meat thin thin or shaved. Which requires a slicer. Or thats what I am going to blame anyway.

Kevin, Nice smoke ,you have some excellent sammies to look forward to ! like

Thanks

I'll get a couple anyway, well maybe. ROFLMAO. See when I smoke its a process of figuring out who I can and can not get away with sharing with....LOL Out of those 5 packs, I'll be lucky to get one. But now that I have done it, I can do that again easily.

Hey Foamy if you put out a sammie for Santa I might stop by. :rolleyes: :D Be much better than chocolate chip cookies.

Warren

See I know how to work the system. I put out fresh hay and carrots for the reindeer. When the reindeer stop, you know Santa will come in for some snog! He who controls the reindeer controls the toy bag!

See I know how to work the system. I put out fresh hay and carrots for the reindeer. When the reindeer stop, you know Santa will come in for some snog! He who controls the reindeer controls the toy bag!

And then how many reindeer does Santa leave Kevin's house with??? The same 8 he got there with or maybe one or two less??

Bear

I like my meat thin thin or shaved. Which requires a slicer. Or thats what I am going to blame anyway.

My Maken Bacon drew me to requiring a curing fridge. After smoking the slabs they needed to rest and dry age in a refrigerated environment. That requires open air. Open air in a home (HER) refrigerator could make things like veggies and such to take on a smokey air.
So Dave sent me a picture of what he uses to avoid cross contamination. a 4.4 Cu Ft mini fridge. I'd been mulling over a mini fridge for my "outdoor kitchen", and how it could elevate my MES 30 to a more comfortable working height, and a place to store my 'clutter' in the house fridge, and... you get the idea.
So I looked online, and looked online at my dogs favorite store, Lowe's. They had a 4.3 Cu Ft Whirlpool Mini Fridge with a Black Stainless steel face on sale through that day only at 40% off. So what could I do?
The wife was in Hawaii visiting relatives there, and the sale would be over long before she came back. So I went and got one. :oops: I'm shameless Uncle Goldie. :p
I set it up, put the MES on top, and got it chillin like a villain. And soon transferred my wonderful BACON slabs into it for a ~5 day rest. Not cross contamination smells in the house fridge. Peace in the Valley.
I told Dave I needed to make some Jerky, and get a horse blanket to keep me warm when I got banned to the doghouse.
Dave being the great Friend he is said to blame it on him. But I can't do that. He didn't twist my arm, just showed me what he uses.
Since there was a LOT of extra room in the new fridge, I felt obligated to put something in there to help balance the cycling of it. So a 30 pack of PBR's helped to clear my conscience of wasted space. And some containers of Nuts, and Jars of Al's Pickles migrated from the house fridge to my new curing fridge.
So what has this got to do with thin shaved roast beasts?

There comes a point where a want becomes a need, and the need becomes a paramount requirement. It is my belief you are at the Paramount Requirement Point of a slicer procurement. Especially if your efforts are going to be absconded with at such a high rate. You require equipment to help you meet the "shrinkage" of your efforts.
You have a Paramount Requirement for a Slicer beyond your fine cutlery to meet the shrinkage rate being supported there. Simply stated, you need to produce more, in order to get any.
Right? Right!
I recently realized I had a need beyond slicing consistently for making Jerky. I was embarking on Maken Bacon as well.
So I looked here, where the experienced peers dwell and to the collective experiences. I decided on a Chef's Choice 615, which arrived as a 615A. It's been a good work horse, cuts pork loin directly from the freezer, and never complains. But, there's always a Butt, I can't help but wonder if I shouldn't have gotten a bigger one.

One with a blade guard so the piece being cut from didn't ride up the turning blade after exiting the cutting field. Probably exacerbated by Operator Error. But the problem would not be a problem with shielded blade center.
See HERE a page of many types of slicers. See the open faced blades, but scroll down a smidgen and see the covered faced blades, 10-12". I would recommend those.
I'm set with my Chef's Choice, or stuck as it were. My wife saw the statement and said, "What did you spend $150 on?"
"A Slicer."
"You spent $150 on a slicer???"
"Yes. It was what I wanted."

Don't be that guy Uncle Goldie. Choose well. But honestly, do you really NEED a Biserba GSP-HD? Naw, not really.

But, in my opinion, your need for a slicer is Paramount. I will pay forward what Dave took on the chin.
Tell her, "Sonny MADE me do it!" (And you can get FREE shipping on Ebray. But I'd buy new if I was doing it.)

I too looked at 8, 10 & 12" slicers and the weight wasn't as much of a concern as the shear bulk. The 6" KWS is a mini version of the bigger light commercial slicers. It took a while to commit but after I realized that homemade bacon doesn't shrink like mass produced store bought the need for a 12" slicer was moot. A 12" slice of store ought bacon will shrivel up to about 4 inches whereas a 7" slice my homemade bacon will only shrivel to around 5 inches.

I then realized I don't slice up entire steamship rounds or other bulky cuts of meats and 99% of the stuff I slice is 5" in diameter or less category. Cheese's, lunch meats, cured meats. My KWS is also easy to move around at about 28 pounds and cleanup is fairly easy although you need to remove 3 screws to remove the blade. Once accustom to cleaning its a 5 to 8 minute process.

Too many times we try to solve for 100% and it becomes an impossibility. Far easier to solve for 80% of the know hurdles and then deal with minority of the hurdles as they arise

Exactly!!!
And the Bread I use for my BLTs is only about 5" X 6", so I cut my Bellies in 6 pieces---Perfect For bagging, smoking, Slicing, Sammies, Frying Pan, and Freezing.

Bear

That beef looks great Kevin, lots of sammies in your near future.

Point for sure.
Chris

disco disco sounds like it's time for two roasts, his and hers...

My Maken Bacon drew me to requiring a curing fridge. After smoking the slabs they needed to rest and dry age in a refrigerated environment. That requires open air. Open air in a home (HER) refrigerator could make things like veggies and such to take on a smokey air.
So Dave sent me a picture of what he uses to avoid cross contamination. a 4.4 Cu Ft mini fridge. I'd been mulling over a mini fridge for my "outdoor kitchen", and how it could elevate my MES 30 to a more comfortable working height, and a place to store my 'clutter' in the house fridge, and... you get the idea.
So I looked online, and looked online at my dogs favorite store, Lowe's. They had a 4.3 Cu Ft Whirlpool Mini Fridge with a Black Stainless steel face on sale through that day only at 40% off. So what could I do?
The wife was in Hawaii visiting relatives there, and the sale would be over long before she came back. So I went and got one. :oops: I'm shameless Uncle Goldie. :p
I set it up, put the MES on top, and got it chillin like a villain. And soon transferred my wonderful BACON slabs into it for a ~5 day rest. Not cross contamination smells in the house fridge. Peace in the Valley.
I told Dave I needed to make some Jerky, and get a horse blanket to keep me warm when I got banned to the doghouse.
Dave being the great Friend he is said to blame it on him. But I can't do that. He didn't twist my arm, just showed me what he uses.
Since there was a LOT of extra room in the new fridge, I felt obligated to put something in there to help balance the cycling of it. So a 30 pack of PBR's helped to clear my conscience of wasted space. And some containers of Nuts, and Jars of Al's Pickles migrated from the house fridge to my new curing fridge.
So what has this got to do with thin shaved roast beasts?

There comes a point where a want becomes a need, and the need becomes a paramount requirement. It is my belief you are at the Paramount Requirement Point of a slicer procurement. Especially if your efforts are going to be absconded with at such a high rate. You require equipment to help you meet the "shrinkage" of your efforts.
You have a Paramount Requirement for a Slicer beyond your fine cutlery to meet the shrinkage rate being supported there. Simply stated, you need to produce more, in order to get any.
Right? Right!
I recently realized I had a need beyond slicing consistently for making Jerky. I was embarking on Maken Bacon as well.
So I looked here, where the experienced peers dwell and to the collective experiences. I decided on a Chef's Choice 615, which arrived as a 615A. It's been a good work horse, cuts pork loin directly from the freezer, and never complains. But, there's always a Butt, I can't help but wonder if I shouldn't have gotten a bigger one.

One with a blade guard so the piece being cut from didn't ride up the turning blade after exiting the cutting field. Probably exacerbated by Operator Error. But the problem would not be a problem with shielded blade center.
See HERE a page of many types of slicers. See the open faced blades, but scroll down a smidgen and see the covered faced blades, 10-12". I would recommend those.
I'm set with my Chef's Choice, or stuck as it were. My wife saw the statement and said, "What did you spend $150 on?"
"A Slicer."
"You spent $150 on a slicer???"
"Yes. It was what I wanted."

Don't be that guy Uncle Goldie. Choose well. But honestly, do you really NEED a Biserba GSP-HD? Naw, not really.

But, in my opinion, your need for a slicer is Paramount. I will pay forward what Dave took on the chin.
Tell her, "Sonny MADE me do it!" (And you can get FREE shipping on Ebray. But I'd buy new if I was doing it.)

I can only reply with my dear old Aunt's adage, "Its only a luxury until you own one, then its a necessity."

Exactly!!!
And the Bread I use for my BLTs is only about 5" X 6", so I cut my Bellies in 6 pieces---Perfect For bagging, smoking, Slicing, Sammies, Frying Pan, and Freezing.

Bear

Its not necessarily the blade size, I like power! I am like Tim "The Toolman Taylor". Pop taught me at a young age of you take the larger motor option on anything they will always last longer with less hassle. Course Pop loved to build his own and he didn't own any electrical motors less than 1 horse. LOL

This time of the year, you're snowed in anyway. Do what you want and apologize for everything you did during the winter before the spring thaw? <Chuckles> You do remember I have never been married, right?
Allow me to explain the power of the wife to the bachelor...

Family, neighbors and a couple of widow ladies.

You're just going to have to cook more then.
You need to out produce the chow hounds.
Tell them you could do more if they brought some raw Whatchercookin over.

You need a slicer. Get one, then do not shop anymore. That way you won't get PO'd because you found a 'better deal'.
I just sliced up 1lb 14.8oz. of Pork Loin for more Jerky and have it in Marinading overnight. Love my slicer!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky