Beef cut suggestion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Hi all, I am looking for a rather large cut of beef (thats not brisket) to cook for a summer party we thru each year. I am going to check my closest Restaurant Depot for a should clod. Does anyone have any suggestion on a large cut of beef that can be used for slicing. I am not really concerned on cook time if it takes 24hrs or more I am ok with that. Looking for something that will make good sliced beef and will yield good. Ideally looking for a hunk 18 plus pounds. Look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions. Thanks in advance

Looking for further suggestion on possibly something I am overlooking. And as I stated I am not sure if I will be able to get ahold of a beef shoulder clod.

Rump or eye round can be smoked and shaved or sliced really thin for sammies

Chris

Does anyone have a suggestion for which cut to have "roast beef"? I was
thinking eye round with Montreal seasoning. Was also thinking about lower
fat content, hence the "eye round". Should I cook it to 200 like I did the
pastrami???

if your looking for a big piece, my first choice would be the clod, if not check into a whole top round.

You could also concider a beef knuckle sirloin tip. Its from the hind leg and really lean. I like to break them down into smaller ST roasts for more crustiness, go med rare and thin slice.

You could also concider a beef knuckle sirloin tip. Its from the hind leg and really lean. I like to break them down into smaller ST roasts for more crustiness, go med rare and thin slice.

Yes I was also going to suggest a sirloin tip. I've made a few over smoke over the years and they're always a hit. Not a real long smoke but very tasty and a good yield for your $$.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
I don't know that I ever got a whole sirloin Tip tender but with temp probes and some foil at the right time I might be able to correct that now lol years ago I was lucky to afford meat and charcoal in the same week much less a thermometer lcmao

I’ve never attempted taking ST roast past MR but cut up into stew meat and braised makes it melt in your mouth tender. We get two nice tip roasts for pit beef and good portions of stew and stir fry. Beef knuckles at our GFS have been as low as $2.39# but are now running higher.

Most grocery stores around here are selling clod as “English Roast” If one asks the butcher, it’s often possible to obtain a 10#+ piece of meat for less than$3 a pound.

Worth it just to ask.

I have made Italian beef out of this stuff, and it rocks.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
Great choice on the eye of round and Montreal steak seasoning. Exactly what I do except i inject with a little low sodium beef broth too. I smoke to 125 then give it a quick sear on my gas grill then let it rest overnight. Toss it in the freezer for an hour or so then slice super thin on the meat slicer. Here is some I did several months back.
upload_2019-7-1_23-36-26.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky