Beef - Corned Beef and Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking good pops !
Here's a shot of the eye of round I did with your brine. It turned out Really good, but one question. How much of the sugar can I eliminate from the brine and it still work correctly ? I can taste the sweet to it and my personal preference is to not have the Sweet. I don't like honey ham , pineapple glazed ham. But I love how easy the brine is. Awesome stuff Pops !!
You can eliminate all of it if you wish - it is for flavoring only.  All you really need is 1 gallon of water, 1 oz (heaping tablespoon) of curing salt and ½ cup of table salt.

Slicing!

First of all, I got a new slicer for Christmas.  Another Nesco, FS-250 model, with 8.7" Blade and side thickness control from Walmart at a good price!

photos of it:

I love the side slicing control!  Doesn't widen out like the old one did. 

(Late last night, after the roast cooled, I had to make sure I found the correct cross-grain.... ahem....)

Brought it out today, and started slicing it...

As i sliced it, was easily able to thin it up nicely.

Finished it!  Smaller container is for my chiropractor (going tomorrow), larger container is for us plus what's on the plate:

Now... doesn't it look delicious!  Being cured, it will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks (doubt it will last that long.. lol!)

The flavor?  The pickling spices made a very nice difference added at the start of the curing; instead of a dried beef flavor, it was more aromatic, smoked corned beef flavor.  Cooked perfectly to the right temp!

I call it a success!  Can't wait until Friday for making the corned beef and cabbage, too!

Pastrami with brown mustard, swiss cheese and sauerkraut - absolutely delicious!  (Forgot to get rye bread, but plenty left for more!)

Grilled on my 'new' panini... um..... 10 year old George Foreman Grill!  Works like a charm for toasting sandwiches!

Pops, you are the master at curing  and smoking and I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge with us wantabes.    Your pastrami looks absolutely delicious.   It's on my list to do soon.

Last edited:
Pops, that looks absolutely amazing, Definitely on the list this spring......
points1.png

The final 'proof-is-in-the-pudding' was cooking the corned beef piece, which I did today in between doing the ham and arm shoulder:

put the piece I'd sliced off the cured beef roast in a pot of water and started it simmering.  It simmered from 10 am until 2:30 pm until it hit an internal temperature of 208°, when I removed it from the heat and chilled it - had to go to our son's annual (22nd) Open House at ThumbTech's.  Got home, removed it and tested it for shredding....

Voila!  Success!  Shredded with ease, and delicious, too!

Reactions: Walchit
Thank you all for all the wonderful comments and for looking!

Just. . . WOW. Saving this thread for reference. Impressive Pops. Happy St. Patty's!

Last edited:
Corned beef is my favorite!
Nothing worse than getting a bag Reuben sandwich at a restaurant
After making my own corned beef and pastrami, I will never buy it in a restaurant again

Great Job Pops!

Corned beef is my favorite!

Nothing worse than getting a bag Reuben sandwich at a restaurant

After making my own corned beef and pastrami, I will never buy it in a restaurant again

Great Job Pops!

Amen to that!

The first time my bride tasted my homemade corned beef, she accused me of serving her an exotic meat!

There's that big of a difference.

Reactions: Walchit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky