Beef Brisket Bacon Experiment: Success!! (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Celery juice powder is what manufacturers use and are calling "uncured" this and that. I bought some charcuterie yesterday that was labeled "uncured", but they used Swiss Chard.

I've wanted to try making beef bacon for a long time but can't seem to find the bellies. I contacted several places online as well as a couple of local ranches that process their own beef. Nothing, nada, not a single response. On a whim I decided I'd give it a shot using an 18# CPB whole packer brisket. Defrosted it then trimmed off the major fat and cut it down to the approximate size of a pork belly. From there I cut the slab into two pieces, calculated my cure for both, and mixed it all up. The larger of the pieces was an additional experiment. It was cured using celery powder that was gifted to me by our very good friend @smokin peachey Never used it before. The smaller of the pieces was cured with Cure #1. Both had the prescribed amount of sugar and salt in the cure. Both slabs were seasoned with Jeff's Texas rub. Being that the rub has a considerable amount of salt in it I backed off with the calculated salt in the cure by a couple of grams.

Heavy fat and a good chunk of the point cut off.
View attachment 480900

The two slabs and 5# of trimmings that were ground the next day....for something that I'll do later
View attachment 480901

Cure and seasonings applied then into vac seal bags. Burp the air out but I don't vacuum them.
View attachment 480902

After a two week soak in the cure, rinsed, and ready for round 2 of seasonings.
View attachment 480904

Seasonings applied for the second time. Now into the fridge for an overnight rest.
View attachment 480905

The next day they go on the Rec Tec for 6 hours of low temp / extreme smoke
View attachment 480906

When they come off the smoker it's back into the fridge overnight uncovered. Here is the larger of the two slabs just before slicing. I'm really liking the color on this.
View attachment 480907

All sliced. The 3 stacks on the left were more from the point and cured with the celery powder. The 3 stacks on the right were more from the flat and done with Cure #1. I hit a big vein of fat so stopped slicing.
View attachment 480908

As you can see the CPB briskets are pretty lean. My first thought when I started slicing was that it looks just like pastrami....then it dawned on me. Pastrami is cured beef brisket and so is the bacon. Stands to reason they will look very similar. The huge difference is in the flavor of course. You still have the deep beefy flavor but none of the "sweetness" that you get with pastrami and the texture is very similar. The flavor of the rub was perfect to go with the beef. This stuff has an outstanding flavor. You just have to get past the thought of pork belly bacon. It's totally different but really good. I can see all sorts of fun stuff to do with this. Rubens, BBBLT's, bacon cheese burgers, and the list goes on. It was a crap shoot but came out well.I'll be keeping this on hand at all times.

Thanks for looking and I'll see y'all on the next "Tales From the Crypt" :emoji_laughing:

Robert
I love thinking outside the box. Great looking beef bacon

Looks good and a fun experiment. If i was to make a callin a test, I'd say the Point Meat was on the Right, just based on the heavier Marbling and the fat. Either way they look delicious...JJ

“Both slabs were seasoned with Jeff's Texas rub. Being that the rub has a considerable amount of salt in it I backed off with the calculated salt in the cure by a couple of grams.”

The rub I use is about 50% salt, so I set the digging dog calculator to 4% salt and it gives me the right amount of rub to get 2% salt with the right amount of cure.

According to the recipe I got for Jeff’s Texas Rub, it is only 2 of 15 tbsp salt, which is about 14%. That’s not much compared to the rub I use, but is probably significant enough to make a difference, although many may not notice it. If you want to use only the rub for the salt content the calculator says to use, you could set the calculator to like 15% salt and you could use that much Jeff’s rub and have all the salt you need. That may be a lot of rub though.

Alternatively, set the calculator to 2%, weigh how much rub you use, multiply by .15 to know how much salt you have, then add enough salt to equal the amount the calculator says To use. This will change the character of the rub though because it will change the ratio of salt to the other ingredients.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky