Beef and Cast Iron

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is a "rib eye cap".... Is that where you trim off the outside of the rib eye and roll it??? or do you buy it from the meat guy ???
I was wondering the same thing and started looking around and found this, http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2018/03/usda-prime-ribeye-cap-steaks-costco/

ribeye-cap-steak-3.jpg

Now imagine taking the whole cap off a prime rib roast

ribeye-cap-steak-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
What is a "rib eye cap".... Is that where you trim off the outside of the rib eye and roll it??? or do you buy it from the meat guy ???

Yeah, like chilerelleno chilerelleno pointed out, it’s that beautiful, fatty, delicious outer edge of the prime rib roast. Most good butchers would be happy to trim it off for you, and will charge you a ton for it. What I do is buy a whole prime rib roast and peel it off myself. You can still use the inner piece of meat as a roast (rib eye roast, I think it’s called). It can also be sliced up thick for some nice steaks, that’s what I usually do.

Cheers!

I"m going to get myself a few of those.

But I don't think I'd want to stuff or roll that beautiful piece of beef.
To me that's screaming for a long, low temp smoke with hickory or mesquite, followed by a quick sear of both sides in a hellishly hot cast iron and lastly a good dusting of salt and Hillbilly Gunpowder.
Maybe some Bleu cheese crumbles.

Stand Back! I'm drooling here.

Last edited:
Reactions: phatbac
LIKE; To me it doesn't matter if the pan is CI, SS, or CS as long as it is screaming HOT. Far superior results for chops over the grill. When cooking at this high of temps it takes on smoke flavor from the meat itself. Mmmm: beef smoke.

Reactions: Lakeside Smoker
I love cooking things in my cast iron skillets but for some reason I get a greasy taste to the steaks. I don't know if I need to add more butter or if I'm using the wrong oil. I've tried a few diff types but haven't tried mixing it with butter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky