Bear summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A sous vide circulator is a great way to poach sausage to bring it up to the desired IT.  But what is the purpose of poaching it all night if you already cooked it at 160 for 6 hours.  I just don't get the science behind this process.

A sous vide circulator is a great way to poach sausage to bring it up to the desired IT.  But what is the purpose of poaching it all night if you already cooked it at 160 for 6 hours.  I just don't get the science behind this process.
Because 6 hours at 160 in the smoker won't bring the sausage up to the desired IT.

Al

Very nice sausage. How did it taste? How did you spice it?

Looks good 
icon14.gif

icon14.gif

Basically what has been said 6 hrs at 160 didnt give enough to get sausage up to desired temp. I learned last year summer sausage can be unpredictable my first ever batch too me 13 hrs to come up to temp. The all night was more out of convenience since it was 11 at night.

Because 6 hours at 160 in the smoker won't bring the sausage up to the desired IT.

Al

Exactly.

MS, Nice money shot ,your sausage looks delicious!

Thanks CM this was a new one for me.

Very nice sausage. How did it taste? How did you spice it?

Looks good  Thumbs Up    Thumbs Up

The seasoning was the AC Leggs ss seasoning & hitemp cheddar.

The SS looks like it turned out great to me! Very nice job.
Also, at 160 in the sous vide, you don't risk fat out (no temp spikes), and case hardening won't happen.

Thanks CB the sous vide provided that nice even temp without risk of fat out worked really nice first go round with SV for me.

It was 12am this past Saturday when I found myself in the same predicament: Stay up until the summer sausage hit the right temp in my smoker. Then, I found this thread and although I did worry about summer sausage in the sous vide for 6 hrs, I decided to give it a try and went to bed. The next morning, perfection!!! Each chub was perfectly to temp, no fat out, no excess cooking, just right. Always use this method to finish my sticks and from now on, I'll use it on the chubs as well.
Thanks for the pointer!!

Sous vide is hot water circulator. I bag my summer sausage agter a few hours on the smoke then finish in the water bath to bring up to temp. Search sous vide on here & you will find quite a bit of information.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky