Bear Mountain Owns Lumberjack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dicks had a big website sale on LJ with free shipping, back around Xmas of 2020. I bought several bags of 100% Apple, Pecan, and a few more blends. Since they shipped each bag separately, my wife was pretty irritated at me when truckloads of boxes began showing up.
Bear Mountain is more accessible to me, and quite a bit cheaper. They burn fine, but I do wish they had a lower % of alder. Not sure exactly, but I think it's 60/40 one way or the other.

LOL

Dicks had a big website sale on LJ with free shipping, back around Xmas of 2020. I bought several bags of 100% Apple, Pecan, and a few more blends. Since they shipped each bag separately, my wife was pretty irritated at me when truckloads of boxes began showing up.
Bear Mountain is more accessible to me, and quite a bit cheaper. They burn fine, but I do wish they had a lower % of alder. Not sure exactly, but I think it's 60/40 one way or the other.

I laughed reading this since I've had a similar experience. First pellets I used were CookinPellets. They're actually very good quality pellet but a bit pricy. I did a bulk order (in attempt to save money) of 15 x 40# bags and when UPS rolled up in here we went to pitching 15 individual boxes. :emoji_laughing: Even the UPS guy was laughing. Once I learned about LJ and tried them they've been my go to pellet. LumberJack is a quality pellet at a real good price point.

I just read on the rec tec forum that a member called Lumberjack and asked them if they were making the RK branded pellets. They said that they are not making them.
Wow, a Rural king employee told me yesterday that LumberJack makes there pellets now lol. Probably won't try Rural King pellets as I have been pretty loyal to LumberJack. Thinking about giving Kingsford a go.

They're pretty easy to find in the Midwest. Craiglist usually has a guy selling them. I get mine at Fareway Meat Market a small regional grocery store.

Reactions: tallbm
Thinking about giving Kingsford a go.
I did a load of bone in chicken breasts for pulled chicken awhile back with Kingsford cherry, and the cherry flavor really came through in the meat. And the guy who posted that he called LJ about the RK pellets also mentioned being told by the rep. that they know that RK staff has been claiming their house brand is rebranded LJ, when it's not.

Dang shame they quit carrying LJ, since it was the only place to get them around here. We have a Dick's, but they never seem to have any in the store. I read that Cabelas house brand is made by LJ, so those may be worth a try. RK was a lot more convenient, though.
I THINK that Dick's allows you to order to the store for free pick up if that helps. Also they should have a wider variety available online to order from instead of just having to pick from what is on shelves.
Feel free to verify if this is correct or not and if you do so, please let us know :D

I have both a Dick's near me but have always bought from a guy about 20 minutes away from me. He seems to do bulk orders and sells as a "distributor" out of his barn where he has pallets of LJ pellets. I bought his last 3 bags of 100% of Mesquite and last 2 bags of 100% Apple when I read on here those were being discontinued.

I have since sourced a different and local brand of 100% Mesquite I'll be trying some day. I still don't have a replacement for 100% Apple but it's ok, I don't use it nearly as much so the 55 lbs or so that I have should last me for years and years to come. I only use it on bacon and sausage smoking but could always see myself expanding out to more chicken usage :)

Reactions: DougE
Interesting. I just located a place near me that I never heard of (mainly a fireplace store, I think.) According to their website, they carry BBQr's Delight, GMG, Pacific Pellets & Ol' Hick Pellets (never heard of either of them), and LJ in many 100% flavors, including maple, mesquite, oak, apple, cherry, hickory, and pecan. Says to call for price, though. Guess I'll have to check them out this weekend (and leave the wife at home. Somehow she thinks I have too much already. It's her fault that I'm down to 6 20-lb. bags of charcoal.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Steff3
Interesting. I just located a place near me that I never heard of (mainly a fireplace store, I think.) According to their website, they carry BBQr's Delight, GMG, Pacific Pellets & Ol' Hick Pellets (never heard of either of them), and LJ in many 100% flavors, including maple, mesquite, oak, apple, cherry, hickory, and pecan. Says to call for price, though. Guess I'll have to check them out this weekend (and leave the wife at home. Somehow she thinks I have too much already. It's her fault that I'm down to 6 20-lb. bags of charcoal.)
You may want to call ahead so you don't waste a trip. Alot of that online info is plain wrong and the people at the stores have no idea. I ran into that looking for pellets at a fireplace store in the past. Glad I called before making the drive :)

Reactions: DougE
You may want to call ahead so you don't waste a trip. Alot of that online info is plain wrong and the people at the stores have no idea. I ran into that looking for pellets at a fireplace store in the past. Glad I called before making the drive :)
Well...., it's not that far, and it'll give me an excuse to visit our forumite friend, Ynot2k, who started Jeff's Texas Smokehouse in Marysville, WA.

Reactions: tallbm
I saw today where Lowes is stocking Bear mountain. I don't remember them having anything but Pitboss and Kingsford pellets in the past.

Don't forget, Tractor Supply has started selling Bear Mountain.
Tractor supply by me has been selling Bear Mountain at least since last spring when I got my pellet grill. Problem is they hardly keep much of a variety. I think oak, apple, and some blend or other is about all I've seen on the shelf. They got tons of Pit Boss pellets though.

I was at RK yesterday. They had a picture posted of the LJ bag and then a picture of their new bag beside it that said same product new design. But you can clearly tell that the RK pellets are bigger and the bag had quite a bit more dust in the bottom.from where the pellets were falling apart. So I didn't buy any got a bag of charcoal instead. Back to the drawing board I guess.
So my local RK lied to me. Yesterday they told me the RK pellets were made by Lumberjack and were the exact same pellets. I guess its back to the drawing board to me too. I need to find another place to buy Lumberjack pellets in Louisville Ky. Any ideas? The Lumberjack website doesn't show any lumberjack dealers in Louisville KY. I think I read somewhere that Cabelas wood pellets are made by Lumberjack. Can anyone verify? How is the quality of Cabelas wood pellets?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky