BDSkelly~ First Breakfast Sausage Grind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nicely done sir! Quick question is the salt in pops recipe kosher, sea salt or table salt? Thanks now get back to eating your breakfast.

Looks food BD! I always have a batch of Fassett's breakfast seasoning made up. I too add chili pepper flakes. I also add garlic. Just ate the last batch of links yesterday so time to make some more!

Nicely done sir! Quick question is the salt in pops recipe kosher, sea salt or table salt? Thanks now get back to eating your breakfast.
Thanks Johnny.  I used simple table salt.  And next batch I will back off the amount just a little bit... 

Outstanding Brian!  Gonna have to try this one...and we like some heat too, so the pepper flakes are a good idea.

points.gif

Red

Looks food BD! I always have a batch of Fassett's breakfast seasoning made up. I too add chili pepper flakes. I also add garlic. Just ate the last batch of links yesterday so time to make some more!
I made up a qt.jar of Pops and then after using it all, decided not to do that any more. Even with a vigorious shaking the salt all settles in the bottom and the sage on top. So I now enjoy making what I am going to use per batch. It's just me I am sure but ....... something to think about.

I dug out the last of my little sizzlers, ( I do 'em in sheep casing, always loved it as a kid, meant it was store boughts...LOL), after seeing this post and had 'em with pancakes for breakfast. BTW who left the gate open its a bit chilly today?

I almost always grind my own beef.  And I've squished my share of Brats...  But have never made breakfast sausage.  After eating this I'll never go back to store bought!

I started by using a seasoning base of Pops recipe:
"¾ cup salt
½ cup black pepper
½ cup sage
put in ziploc and shake thoroughly, then use 1 tbsp. per pound of meat" 

To that I added about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of red pepper flakes. 

I deboned a pork butt and that gave me just under 7 pounds of meat.  I cubed it into 1 inch pieces and added 1 tablespoon of seasoning per pound. Mix well And then put it in the freezer to chill before grinding 

Once the meat firmed up I tossed it in the grinder.  I only ground a few chunks. I mixed the grind well...

....And fried a test patty.  Okay.  I know there are two test patties. But if one test patty it a good. Then 2 should be better!  They were GREAT! 

On with grinding the rest of the pork!  No adjustment needed.  I got lucky and nailed it the first try! 
I used a small opened can to cut my patties. Just like biscuits!!!  I placed them on a cookie sheet that was sprayed with oil.  
I then put them into the freezer to firm up almost solid.

While waiting for the patties to freeze I sealed the remaining sausage seasoning. This stuff is GOOD and I want to save it.

Looks like the freezer at IHOP! 

A fun and easy project for a cold Saturday.

B
Darn! I could have done this this morning instead of standing around watching it snow and wishing I had a project! While I'm not much of a breakfast lover, my wife is. I could have scored some points. I have everything on hand...
Love the simple recipe.

Dan

:points:

Darn! I could have done this this morning instead of standing around watching it snow and wishing I had a project! While I'm not much of a breakfast lover, my wife is. I could have scored some points. I have everything on hand...
Love the simple recipe.

Dan

points.gif
Breakfast is served 24 hours a day! Cold snowy days Flapjacks, syrup, sausage, eggs, milk and coffee...... Then go sit back in the easy chair and wonder why you ate so much!!

Those looks great and that's a cool idea about cutting them like biscuits. You bring those sausage patties I'll supply the griddle I just got haha someone else needs to bring the eggs, bacon, and pancakes. I'm not sure who else we could find around here that likes to grill, cook, snoke, cure, etc. haha

Last edited:

I made up a qt.jar of Pops and then after using it all, decided not to do that any more. Even with a vigorious shaking the salt all settles in the bottom and the sage on top. So I now enjoy making what I am going to use per batch. It's just me I am sure but ....... something to think about.

I dug out the last of my little sizzlers, ( I do 'em in sheep casing, always loved it as a kid, meant it was store boughts...LOL), after seeing this post and had 'em with pancakes for breakfast. BTW who left the gate open its a bit chilly today?
Bingo Kevin. The sage keeps floating to the top;  I used and old empty spice shacker to keep things mixed.  I'd apply a little to the pork then give the bottle a good shake to keep the goodies mixed. 

Pancakes??? b

Love the simple recipe.

Dan

points.gif
Thank you for the point! 

Love the simple recipe.

Dan

points.gif
Thank you for the point! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky