BDSkelly ~ Bird Legs (Turkey) with Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
We recently took the family to Disney. Don't ask how much it costs.  Just check your gold card and brain at the gate and don't worry about it...  

One of the things we walked away with was the understanding of what a perfect Turkey Leg should look and taste like. I'f you've not had one then I suggest you try.  Excellent! And given that its at an amusement park you experience  even more astonishment to how good they really are. 

We came home last week and I was determined to give it a shot. 

I began by consulting my good friend and local Texas authority Pops on the proper methods to cure the legs of a bird. 

I cured the legs for 48 hours using Pops exact recipe and instructions.  

After 48 hours in the soup I took the legs out.  Gave them a short wash and applied Teriyaki and a very light dusting of poultry rub.  Not too much as I didn't want the legs to be too salty. 

Then on to a drying rack for a bit to get sticky before the smoke. 

Loaded into the MES at 225 degrees.  I'm using pit master blend pellets.

A little mopping with Teriyaki Sauce.

After about three hours the legs hit 165 internal temp and I remove them from the MES and dress them for Dinner. 

Needless to say the drums were a hit. Pops curing brine really brings out great flavor! 

Thanks

Brian 

Last edited:

th_anim_burp.gif

Reactions: rmmurray
Nice!  I have experienced the turkey legs at Disney, amazing!  My wife is not a fan of turkey legs, she's had them at fairs and such but not at Disney.  I know I'll like em, but do ya think that yours will stand up to the Disney legs?  Not putting your cooking down at all, just wondering how you think they compare.

Mike
points1.png

yes, excellent post. I've been meaning to try these as I read a post somewhere else from a trusted source and he let his legs brine for 3 days, which I found kinda amazing....The naked bone is testament enough to how good they must have been......kudos, Willie

yes, excellent post. I've been meaning to try these as I read a post somewhere else from a trusted source and he let his legs brine for 3 days, which I found kinda amazing....The naked bone is testament enough to how good they must have been......kudos, Willie
Thanks so much for the kind words Willie. 

Not sure about those fancy little hats on the legs....... BUT.... the legs look good.

I understand as an Ex-road warrior, when ya home you do all you can of what you enjoy.

Great looking legs. Is that from all that walking?

Not sure about those fancy little hats on the legs....... BUT.... the legs look good.

I understand as an Ex-road warrior, when ya home you do all you can of what you enjoy.

Great looking legs. Is that from all that walking?
LOL  I'm still walking everyday. But the legs on this post will walk no more! 

Hello , Brian . Those Super Legs look delicious . And the little 'Socks' are cute' . 

Glad you had a good time at DW. I was there in 1962
icon_eek.gif
 , two years after the opening . Made Knott's Berry Farm also , Chicken was good. One of

the BEST vacations I ever had.

How are YOU doing 
icon_question.gif

Stan

Hello , Brian . Those Super Legs look delicious . And the little 'Socks' are cute' . 

Glad you had a good time at DW. I was there in 1962
icon_eek.gif
 , two years after the opening . Made Knott's Berry Farm also , Chicken was good. One of

the BEST vacations I ever had.

How are YOU doing 
icon_question.gif

Stan
Texas Howdy Stan. Thanks for taking a peek at the post. All is well on my end. Well, the wallet is a bit lighter after the vacation. But worth it!  Hows that new pooch of yours doing? Cute lil dog.... B

Thanks for asking , She's doing great. Smart as a whip . Got her heeling , sitting , lying and have her attention

totally with only a short "Pssst" .

She loves to ride and has her own seat with seatbelt and all , for safety . Gonna be a good one.

Have fun and . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky