BD's Butt with Home Made Buns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
The kids are coming over today and phoned me yesterday on the Menu request.  "Dad, how about pulled pork tacos and sandwiches?" Sure kids... No problem... So I zipped to the store and found a nice 10 pounder. Back home, I gave it a wash and trimmed of the loose bits. 

I injected this pig with Butchers Pork injection mix. I'm a big fan of all Butchers products. I am switching the rub to a spicy garlic. ( I usually use Jeffs on all of my pork.)  I put the butt in the smoker at 220 degrees at 8pm.

At 8am the next morning the Butt has an internal temp if 169.  Still a ways to go so I think I'll make some buns for those that prefer sammies over tacos. 

BD Makes Buns 

STUFF YOU NEED
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 tablespoons  VERY SOFT salted butter
  • 1 large egg beaten
  • 3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1  teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon dry yeast. 
In a bowl add the sugar in the water mix well and then add the yeast. Give the mixture time to turn foamy and creamy. Add the remaining ingredients. Place in a mixer and add flour one cup at a time.

After mixing form a ball and place in an oiled bowl cover with a wet towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled. 

After 2 hours, lightly deflate the dough. Cut it into 8 equal portions and roll in a ball. 

Press the ball of dough onto a well greased baking sheet to about 3" diameter.  Allow the to rise again for 30 to 45 minutes. 

Brush the tops with a bit of melted butter. Bake them in a preheated oven at 375 for 15-18 minutes.

Place those great smelling hot buns on a wire rack to cool. I like to use an electric knife to cut bread. ...because I am lazy...

• Okay... With the buns out of the way I need to go check my butt. ( Insert joke  here about me not being able to find my butt with both hands) 
I'll check back with you in a bit... I think I deserve a brewski... b

Last edited:
Brian

That is going to be some good stuff. Oh I checked out your buns and all looks good
ROTF.gif

popcorn.gif

Happy smoken.

David

I changed my Buns from 8 to 12, and may even go to 16 next time.  Folks have one and its so good they just gotta have another, their eyes are bigger than their stomach. Half a sandwich is left. I don't mind the bread, but I have other things I like to do with left over PP.  LOL..... so with a smaller bun if they want to eat 3, or 4 its cool, but theres a lot less potential waste with smaller buns.

I think maybe it was SQWIB who told me that first......

Nice looking butt, and you cheat! A dough hook!

Great looking job so far Brian.

I changed my Buns from 8 to 12, and may even go to 16 next time.  Folks have one and its so good they just gotta have another, their eyes are bigger than their stomach. Half a sandwich is left. I don't mind the bread, but I have other things I like to do with left over PP.  LOL..... so with a smaller bun if they want to eat 3, or 4 its cool, but theres a lot less potential waste with smaller buns.

I think maybe it was SQWIB who told me that first......

Nice looking butt, and you cheat! A dough hook!

Great looking job so far Brian.
GREAT idea Kev... PP Sliders!!!  Next time for sure.  We are at 189 and holding...  Think I'll pull it at 6 more degrees. The natives are restless . As for me I'll just have another Miller. What going on down there brother? b

BTW. The Houma fishing trip now turned out to be a Destin fishing trip. So you're off the hook. ...Now I just need to find a Floridian to invite fishing so he will clean my fish! 

b

And the big ol' platter o pulled pork. 

And, I'd say that the garlic rub was an awesome change. Not as sweet but still great flavor.

b

Last edited:
Reactions: gary s
Looking good there big B!!!

You aren't by chance visiting your cousin in Hawaii??? [emoji]128526[/emoji]
Today I cooked the Butt without the pineapple juice and coconut milk. ( My favorite PP ingredients).  Its cold here in Texas cousin. Wish I were there! b    

Thank  you for sharing with us! They'd not last long around me I'm sure!

Nice Brian, looks great I know it is good      
points1.png

Gary

Your family's very fortunate to have somebody who goes the extra mile to provide them with a delicious made entirely from scratch meal!! Everything looks fantastic.

Your family's very fortunate to have somebody who goes the extra mile to provide them with a delicious made entirely from scratch meal!! Everything looks fantastic.
Thank you my friend.  But I am indeed the lucky one to have such a great family. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky