BBQ Sundae (BBQ in a Jar)! Pulled Pork and sides

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
BBQ Sundae (BBQ in a Jar)

i.jpg

I was perusing the internet the other day and came across a clip of a restaurant that served "BBQ Sundaes" and I immediately went to the drawing board!

I thawed a twin pack of pork butts (tamales in the future again) and got them seasoned up and into the pit for a long nap of Pecan Smoke, both in the hopper and in the tube. I set the temp at 200°F and let the butts get settled in. Sunset made for a good photo op too :emoji_sweat_smile:

a.jpg

I spritzed hourly for the first four hours or so with a mix of ACV, Wooster, Whiskey, and water. Took a few progress pics along the way. I mean, if I'm in there anyways... haha.

b.jpg

c.jpg

Morning came and I had to try and get a similar pic to sunset

d.jpg

At this point the butts had been on for about 10 hours and were just hitting the stall. I bumped the pit up to 225°F and wrapped one butt in butcher paper just to run a comparison test. the nekkid butt finished up after a cook time of 18 hours and was placed into the Alto Shaam at 155°F to hold until dinner.

e.jpg

The barq was absolutely amazing and the little test piece was very promising!

The second butt (wrapped) finished up at the 20 hour mark and joined the first in the Alto Shaam.

f.jpg

The butt almost fell apart as I was transferring it to a pan. There was a small difference in barq formation/retention as expected but the taste test was still excellent.

While the butts were holding I decided to mix up some Whiskey infused BBQ Sauce. I made a small batch of just "winging it" ingredients and was pretty happy with the results. Needs some tweaking for sure but I needed a sauce for the final presentation haha.

h.jpg

***Forgot the Pulled Pic***

g.jpg

One of the outstanding rules when I BBQ is, Mac and Cheese and Dutch Dutch 's Beans are a must!

k.jpg

j.jpg

Then came the recreation part... of which I only have the final pic of but here is the gist:

Mason Jar
Cornbread crumbles smashed into the bottom
Scoop of Beans
Cole Slaw (I just used a packaged kit)
Pulled Pork
Scoop of Mac and Cheese
Drizzle of BBQ Sauce
Skewer of Pickles and a "cherry" (habanero) on top

i.jpg

This is an interesting way to serve this for sure and if I sold food, I would look to this as a convenient way to serve a meal to go. But this was all really done just for the presentation pic and to try something new. I had fun making it and may try this at a future BBQ. Possibly a wider jar to make consumption easier without having to eat through layer by layer. Maybe next time I'll serve it "Banana Split Style"... hmmmm..... where's that drawing board?!

Until the next cook,

Cheers Y'all!

Last edited:
Very nice looking meal and write up. Local place here does BBQ jars although they aren't as pretty as yours. Great job bud

Thanks! I think they have to pump them out a bit faster than I do haha.

Man that is a great looking meal. And your pics are cool too.

Thank you! It's an interesting way to consume some BBQ but I had to give it a go.

Looks pretty nice

Appreciate it!

Well that’s interesting and it looks delicious too!. I could see myself walking around and eating that at a Fair.

Thanks!

Definitely a mobile platform. Replace the bottom layer with some funnel cake and it has fair food written all over it!

Reactions: xray
Do you like those MEATER wifi units? I have a MEATER block and have been reluctant to use it after reading the ambient temp side can burn up if it gets too hot.
I've been pretty lucky with my Block and haven't had many issues that others have had. I don't think I've used mine in ambient temps over 300* though. They have been used many times in my smoker though with no issues.

Reactions: jjpiv33
Wow Zach...that is stunning buddy!! Looks absolutely amazing. the creativity is off the charts and presentation is magazine quality. Well deserved ride my friend....and keep us posted on the "banana split" :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Wow Zach...that is stunning buddy!! Looks absolutely amazing. the creativity is off the charts and presentation is magazine quality. Well deserved ride my friend....and keep us posted on the "banana split" :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks Robert! I'll see if I can sneak in some play time with my food soon for the second iteration haha. Side note too, the bbq sauce needed something extra in it and that pickled garlic you made might be something to try out! did you post up any directions on that stuff? it was amazing!

Very creative!

Thanks! Totally borrowed idea but tried to put my spin on it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky