BBQ Sauce #2 - RUM Sweet Heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
UPDATED to the latest version 6/19/22 - reduced simmering time to 20 minutes.

This one is a favorite at the house. Thought you all might enjoy too!. The dry mustard already supplies some heat so be careful when adding pepper or other heat sources.

BBQ Sauce #2 - Rum Sweet Heat

Recipe By: Matt

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Myer's Dark Rum, - do not use spiced rum
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup molasses, dark/full kind
2 tablespoons A1 Steak Sauce
- - -
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder *
1 1/2 tsp onion powder *
1/2-1 tsp cumin ground
1 tsp ground dry mustard
- - -
ground black pepper to taste, optional

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients to a saucepan over low heat. Stir until solids are dissolved.

2. Bring it to a rapid simmer then lower heat to just barely simmering for the next 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure no sugars will stick and begin to burn on the bottom.

3. Let cool. If you are going to store in refrigerator for a period, use only powders vs diced.

Notes:

The heat comes from the dry mustard and for many is enough.
If you want more then experiment by adding ground black pepper.

* 1 small onion = 1/3 cup chopped = 1 tsp powder
* 1 clove garlic = 1/8 tsp powder = 1 tsp minced

Last edited:
This looks like a nice recipe. I'm smoking some ribs this weekend and would like to make my own sauce this time.

Question: The chipotle, cumin and cayenne are additions or added in place of anything and what measurements?

Thanks!

matchew,

You can add them.  Cumin is very strong (IMO) so I would start with 1 tsp or less.  The Ancho or chipotle and cayenene are heat elements. Don't know your tastes but again I'd pick just one and go easy (1 tsp or less), taste then adjust. Ancho I believe has the lower heat of the three.

Remember, it's always easy to add, but damn difficult to take away :) 

Matt

Last edited:
I use Hunts chili sauce. Be careful on the amount any extra will change the flavor profile. Lately I've backed off a bit in order to keep it a more true bbq flavor.

I use Hunts chili sauce. Be careful on the amount any extra will change the flavor profile. Lately I've backed off a bit in order to keep it a more true bbq flavor.
Ok. I was more asking I guess what type of sauce is the Heintz. The store I'm going to I know won't have is why. Is it like a cocktail sauce or more of a sweet Asian type chili sauce that would go on wings or something?

I would recommend eliminating it and making up the difference by increasing the catsup and rum.

I personally wouldn't use spiced rum.  My gut tells me it would clash with the other ingredients.  Never tried white rum but it might be okay.  

You could also consider substitutes such as bourbon or a DRY red wine.

Glad to hear it worked out for you Rickey. So what alcohol did you end up using?

Matt

This sounds interesting.  I love flavoring things with rum.  I wouldn't sub sriracha for the chili sauce, because the sriracha has a very distinctive taste, and it's a lot spicier.  

Also, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone suggesting subbing for black pepper because it was too spicy.  Wouldn't have to do that around here.  In fact I've been adding heat by using some ghost pepper salt and habeñero salt that I got for Christmas lately.  Good stuff for adding heat without changing the flavor profile.  Just use it and reduce the amount of regular salt.

RP, I'm in your camp regarding the black pepper if it was just me,. BUT, to keep peace in the house sometimes its best to keep the wife happy
wife.gif
, ergo the white pepper 
icon_lol.gif

I've made this sauce two times according to the main ingredients (used 1 and 1/2 tsp of minced garlic instead of two cloves.) with adding a couple of the "possible additions",  cumin,  cayenne and onion powder and I must say I really like this sauce! The first time added 1/2 tsp cumin but added 1 tsp cumin  2nd time while adding 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1/2 tsp onion powder both times. I will mess around with amounts to see if it can get any better....lol!

Something very savory with lots of depth.

This will be a mainstay in my recipe file. Thanks schlotz for posting this.

Glad to hear you like it.  It's a favorite around here for sure :) 

You might like a variation I put together called Bourbon Orange which I posted here as well.

Matt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky