BBQ mats??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
A friend had these on our last RV trip and really liked them. He said you still get grill marks and things cook evenly but you don't have any clean up on your grill or smoker. Any body use them? Mats or mesh?
Dale

IMG_20171023_083521.png

If you cooked stuff that wasn't greasy I can see it would be ok. Put 8 hamburgers on it and you have a pool of grease you would want to be trying to scrape off during your cook.

I use the Frogmat which is what Al described, works great on fish and veggies. The solid looking mat above may be advantageous but the picture makes it look like there's no cooking grease what-so-ever. In the real world grease would be running all over the place so I'm trying to understand the advantage. Almost seems like your're creating a flat top.

I use the Frogmat which is what Al described, works great on fish and veggies. The solid looking mat above may be advantageous but the picture makes it look like there's no cooking grease what-so-ever. In the real world grease would be running all over the place so I'm trying to understand the advantage. Almost seems like your're creating a flat top.

Yes. imagine cheap hamburger ... lol

The idea is for no clean up or food sticking to the grill. That would sorta not be the case with the mat with holes in it. Cook an egg on those mats ..

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to buy the mesh mats and use in the smoker for burgers and poppers. Will use on the grill for fish and vegetables.
Dale

I have a set of the Yoshi mats, not the newer copper ones.I cook poppers without them and the bacon gets crispy and any cheese that oozes out stays on the mat and gets nice and crispy also. I get no flare ups with them when doing anything wrapped in bacon, or chicken. I don't use them to make burgers because I want a little flame to help get that nice crust, although I sure you could.

I have the Qmatz which I use in the smoker for things like almonds which are obviously too small to fit on a rack.

Question: can you really use these on a BBQ where the temps get well beyond 500 degrees? I'd be afraid of the "plastic" material breaking down.

A friend had these on our last RV trip and really liked them. He said you still get grill marks and things cook evenly but you don't have any clean up on your grill or smoker. Any body use them? Mats or mesh?
Dale
Mats. I use them for making pizza. Sometimes on the grill too. G.

I have used them on the smoker and seem then used on a grill. They do a great job for smoking poppers. have not tried them at high temps yet but think they will be just fine.

I have the older Masterbuilt mats both 30 and 40 inches, they claim that there good to 500 degrees. The older matts are discontinued and there new matts claim there good to 300 degrees. I think most matts have some kind of temp rating stated on the packaging.

I only use them for small foods that would fall through the smoker or barbecue grates, other then that it's just as easy to clean the smoker grates in the sink or dishwasher and burn off the barbecue grate with a good wire brushing as it is to wash the grilling mats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky