BBQ Guys 21" Kamado - NEED HELP on ideas for a deflector plate (not available for purchase anywhere)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmrenn

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Masters of meat,

Newbie here. Just getting into using this BBQGuys 21-Inch Kamado Grill & Smoker - BBQ-K-24B, Item #: 3062551, Model #: BBQ-K-24B. It's sold out now so I apolologize can't link to specs.

PROBLEM: while I fell for the stainless hardware and price point (as a trial to the kamado world) I am now suffering from the inability to purchase accessories that I woudl/ could buy with BGE of KJ of like size.

I've made a few things that surprisingly turned out great withOUT the deflector plate by shoving the coals to one side, but it's not ideal and pizza is almost impossible without the a deflector.

They don't offer one and never will so time to find my own solution. I just ordered this Onlyfire Pizza Stone Heat Deflector for Large Big Green Egg and Char-Griller AKORN Kamado, 17 1/2-inch, which by my measurements below SHOULD come close to fitting.

I am prepared with diamond grinder to grind this deflector to fit.

My Q's
1. (in theory) can that be done without shattering or destroying the amazon special deflector????
2. any tips?
3. any of you using this Kamado and if so what did you find (if any) to fit as a deflector?
4. any other ideas?

Thanks and looking forward to being a member here!

bbq inside.png
bbq outside.png

Sorry, I don’t have Kamodo, so I may be misunderstanding your issue, but I just googled Kamodo accessories and there are a lot of sites besides BBQ Guys? Is yours unique to only them? I didn’t go as deep as deflector plates, but from front page on Komodo Joe they had a pizza stone for $55, couldn’t that work as well?

I too am not familiar with these... but I'm thinking maybe some 1/4" steel plate cut to the diameter your looking for... some legs welded on that will sit on that rim I (think) I see around the outside ?? however high you think they need to be up off the charcoal...

Thanks,

I did try the pizza stone idea, but with no tabs sticking out I can't set it down in to deflect heat and placing stone right on the rack resulted in direct cooking and black bottom of pizza with top undone.

I thought about the steel idea but I was thinking I had to go ceramic becuase the steel would conduct heat? Maybe a small pizza stone on a steel rod rack would be the way to go.

Getting inside with a flexible measuring tape or string would be ideal but it's on its way. I have an Akorn Kamado that this fits but I got an $11.00 17" coal grate for a 22" weber kettle grill at Home Depot that fits perfectly on the three ledges and can put a pizza stone, alum/cast iron pizza pan for indirect heating plus it's an elevated coal grate for searing and off to the side indirect cooking steaks, chops and burgers etc. It looks like your pizza/smoking stone on its way will fit.

Welcome to SMF B bmrenn , glad you joined us.
I've been looking at kamado's lately and noticed that the ones manufactured in Asia are sold under several different brand names. Even though your particular model may be discontinued, a deflector of a different brand could very well work.

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll be able to get more precise measurements this weekend, but 🤞I don't need them. The coal grate is a "grate idea" that can be my backup plan. Will post either way the end results as there probably are several name brands being marketed under the same shape/mold casting these in Asia.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky