BBQ guru

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That is an interesting question.  I have the 22.5 WSM & I am a true believer that water helps to control my temps.  No water = a hotter smoke.  Cool water = longer low temps.  warm / hot water = average to higher temps.  I think water also affects the moisture inside the smoker.  If you feel brave, test drive it without water & report back on your findings.  Trial & error my friend.  Trial & error. 

I use a GOSM big block, and water or wet sand helps to stabilize temps.in my experience, the moisture helps form the smoke ring and helps the food from drying out.When I use wet sand, it take longer for the smoker to come up to the temp, but it holds the temp better whenever I need to open the door. Water will bring my smoker up to temp sooner, but does not hold the temp as well when I open the door.The only time that I don't use anything in the water pan, is when I do a cold smoke, Was I through?  God to see you back around this smokey place know as the SMF. Take care Anthony, and maybe next month we can go and buy some chunks in bulk. It's all good my friend.

I think the water in the pan produces a better product. How do you like your temp controller? I have a WSM as well & find it seems to hold consistent temps on it's own.

I think the water in the pan produces a better product. How do you like your temp controller? I have a WSM as well & find it seems to hold consistent temps on it's own.
smokinAl let me tell ya what i did my first smoke  today with my WSM and i did it with out the controller i wanted to see how it held temp. Well all i can say is i don't need the controller i could not be leave how this held temp i didn't even start with a full basket of charcoal and it held 225-230 for over 5 hours and it was only 20 degrees out and it was my first time running the smoker just unreal. Al when u do pork butt do you trust it alone so u can get some sleep like 4 or 5 hours ?. So bottom line is i love the WSM and the controller is nice and well built just don't think i will need it.

Yes you can trust it to hold consistent temps After the first hour or so when you get it stabilized it seems to hold the temps within a 5-10 degree range for the whole smoke. If it goes outside that range it usually because the water pan is getting dry (temp up), or the charcoal is burning out (temp down). If there is sufficient water & charcoal that sucker just keeps on chuggin away. It's really amazing.

Ok you tried it without, now try it with & maybe you can report back to all of us with your results:)
I know when I go to comps. Alot of the guys there us the wsm & guru

Ok you tried it without, now try it with & maybe you can report back to all of us with your results:)
realtorterry i want to try it but i am not sure if the cold weather will hurt the temp. controller or not? its on average 24 degrees this time of year.

realtorterry i want to try it but i am not sure if the cold weather will hurt the temp. controller or not? its on average 24 degrees this time of year.
ok found out today can't use the guru if its 32 degrees or lower so i won't be doing a smoke  with it hooked up for a few more months but as soon as i do i will report how it went. I did hook it up in my house and tested it let me tell ya this thing works great i can't wait to try it on my long smokes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky