BBQ Champ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi resurrected,

my message regarding hurtful comments were not directed at all towards anybody on this or any other forum in particular but just my observations across the board. You are absolutely correct,  other forums [which I take part in] have contained what I consider to be hurtful or unnecessary comments regarding contestants. I am definitely not speaking for or on behalf of any BBQ society, forum or organization. These are my own personal views.I would simply like to help bring all British BBQers together rather than have the divisions that we seem to have at the moment. I enjoy this forum and the views and comments of its members and I hope that once you get to know me I will be accepted amongst you for what I am. That is an ordinary guy who has lived and breathed [literally. Sleeping next to my smokers every night for 3 years] BBQ for over 10 years now.

Thanks for listening, John

Just to add my bit on this, I did post on their FACEBOOK site after the first episode that it was terrible, but after that we encouraged members not to attack the show, but give guidance to members of the public on how to cook the things, the contestants were cooking. To this end I personally posted about three to four recipes for each of the main activities, ie Kebabs, Sea Food, Steaks etc. I did read on another forum that this showed how desperate we were? I was there to put our support behind the show, and if we got some new Memebers from it that would be a Bonus.

Steve

I agree with you John. It is very different cooking with friends and cooking with cameras on you. I am not sure that I have seen any hurtful comments about the contestants themselves but there have been some seemingly dubious decisions made by the judges. I tend to put this down to the program editing - or at least I hope that is the reason.

Yes, it would probably have been more enjoyable to have had the "judges" there purely for cooking commentary but then to have a panned judging the resulting food blind. After all, it is not the path that is necessarily as important as the end result. That way the decisions would probably appear to be more objective - they are all trying for a £25K prize after all.

Hi Steve,

I assure you that I was not attacking you or anybody else in particular. I'd like to say I think what you did was very commendable. I am also guilty of slating the show even though I find it irresistible viewing. I suppose in a way that I could be seen as a hypocrite for judging the show so badly when I have no experience in TV production. Sometimes its hard to put your point of view forward without it being misconstrued. I suppose that,s just one of the stumbling points of today's social media. Anyway , just to set the record straight I'l sign off with this message.

Peace, Love and Glorious BBQ to all ...

John

Hi John, I did not take it as any sort of criticism. I think we all waited so long for the show to start then, were we totally disapointed with it, and how it betrayed typical "UK BBQ"

Did not post anything this weekend as I was out on Friday Night and working last night, but looking at the interaction on the Facebook site, I do not think it's worth it?

When are we having a "Cook" at BBQ HQ? :biggrin:

Steve

Hi resurrected,
                        my message regarding hurtful comments were not directed at all towards anybody on this or any other forum in particular but just my observations across the board. You are absolutely correct,  other forums [which I take part in] have contained what I consider to be hurtful or unnecessary comments regarding contestants. I am definitely not speaking for or on behalf of any BBQ society, forum or organization. These are my own personal views.I would simply like to help bring all British BBQers together rather than have the divisions that we seem to have at the moment. I enjoy this forum and the views and comments of its members and I hope that once you get to know me I will be accepted amongst you for what I am. That is an ordinary guy who has lived and breathed [literally. Sleeping next to my smokers every night for 3 years] BBQ for over 10 years now.

Thanks for listening, John

Here here.

I'm completely new to this BBQ lark and joined various groups for advice. I've already left a couple as I just found them quite unfriendly.

I was actually quite amazed to see the "divisions/politics" that appears to exist. All seems a little bit silly to me.

To quote an old saying where I don't suffer fools gladly, I do pretty much get on with most people. So welcome aboard, I'm all for going as much knowledge and help as I can :grilling_smilie::grilling_smilie:

I Totally agree, walk a mile in someones shoes and all that.  Before the programme was even aired we deducted that it would not be a true representation of the skills & techniques of the contestants, after all it is about ratings.    I agree Dr BBQ would have been a more colourful and knowledgeable presenter, but I suppose they are looking for a well known face.  

Hi Steve,

I assure you that I was not attacking you or anybody else in particular. I'd like to say I think what you did was very commendable. I am also guilty of slating the show even though I find it irresistible viewing. I suppose in a way that I could be seen as a hypocrite for judging the show so badly when I have no experience in TV production. Sometimes its hard to put your point of view forward without it being misconstrued. I suppose that,s just one of the stumbling points of today's social media. Anyway , just to set the record straight I'l sign off with this message.

Peace, Love and Glorious BBQ to all ...

John
Hi John et al.

Peace to you too.

I too have fell foul (a number of times) of people judging 2D posts (emails)  in a 3D world! It is so easy to be misconstrued and end up being misunderstood and battered. No worries on my part as I felt I knew where you were coming from but it does get a tad wearing to keep hearing that these contestants have great past creds, that they are some of the best at what they do and then watch performances like that every week? However you make some valid points Mr Joker but I do agree with Ressy too and your dedication to the Q cause is unquestioned
download

In general however I viewed BBQ forums to be a range of discussions on up to minute topics and trends within BBQ. I knew opinions would always vary and threads and posts would be open for all types of comment. I think the same happens after every game of football, X factor, BB  or the Apprentice program does it not? Everyone has their own thoughts and do tend to voice them as "experts" over a pint as is the way in the UK but wont be pulling on a football shirt any time soon!
download

BTW I agree that those people who make personal slants are totally wrong.

But.......... IMO just how well these contestants performed each week and the dishes they have attempted to cook should encourage lively debate in most forums sadly not some. Will it raise awareness or encourage Joe Public to want to do BBQ after witnessing how 8 of the best amateur BBQ's in the country performed (or not) on an open Q with food that they cannot afford? we will have to see

However I think a point it is being missed here by some. When you agree to  do these shows and apply to try to be BBQ Champ as one of the best "selected from 1000's", then there is some "expectations" . So unless you do the job well and perform, eyebrows will be raised and the comments will flow. Regardless of editing, pressure and the lack lustre judges, a lot of the Q'er aren't half making pigs ear out of the job, some going through by default rather than merit!  It is what the contestants are attempting to produce and their talent on the Q not them themselves that is being openly discussed, is that being "being hurtful"? surely not? £25k may just go to the best of the 8 cards in the hand not the best BBQ chef!

You refer to Grillstock and the competitive circuit but many Qers may not or do not want to follow that route, considering it a bit costly and elitist like F1. Just as a heads up I am due to do my KCBS judges training in Kansas City in October so I do take this pretty seriously. But in those comps you are cooking to a certain regulated style, have time to prepare, cook and present in your own cocoon of Q, the pressure is from yourself, mistakes can be rectified. Its the end result that is being judged not how you got there, unfortunately in BBQ champ the opposite prevails. However I do give bigger kudos to those that regularly perform in front of the fee paying public each week, where their livelihood is on the line should they make a pigs ear out of it (no pun intended). Cooking for 400+ now that is pressure!

By the way we did have a "Backyard BBQ" at the SMF weekend it wasn't a comp but our Judges were Joe Public.

What did you think of the semi final and final......and did the right contestant win in your own opinion of course.

I personally think Simon served up some fantastic food and was a worthy winner.  

I only caught the final cook-off but from that I agree, Simon deserved his place as the winner. 

To be honest I would have eaten any of the food prepared in the first 2 rounds they looked great, not some of the stuff on the cook off.

Cook off finalist predictable? yes of course.  Simon was the best on the cook off but IMO not of the show.

Did I hear correct, " will taste better than sex"??????

Welcome Sam

If you think that opened your eyes, you aint seen nothing yet!!! The guys on here will take you to BBQ Nirvana not TV raw chicken
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Danny

"In the Buddhist context NIRVANA refers to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished. In HINDU it is the union with Brahman, the divine ground of existence, and the experience of blissful egolessness"

I think we managed all of that at the SMF 2015 weekend don't you?????
yahoo.gif

Hello kiska.  I almost had to ask you to translate that into English! Just a dumb Texas redneck here. So you are saying you guys NAILED it at the weekend.  I can not deny that  You guys were "rock stars"!  FINE job done by all!!  Keep Smokin!
Danny

It means we chilled out doing what we love doing Danny[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky