Basic Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Only way to improve that post would be to advise folks to invest in a "cut proof" glove.
I have severed nerves in my left index finger from trimming a packer.
For under 20 clams much pain and blood loss can be avoided.

Let me know if you you have any questions.
Thank you I will

That is why this forum is so good . Its nice to know you have a helping hand here when things look or are a little more than I/we though.
Always helpful and informative
And sometimes just that little twist on doing something that I might not have thought of

David

David

Great info! Thanks for putting in all that work to post, this should be made a sticky!

Har! There are many great posts on briskets on this forum that could all be stickies but thanks for the compliment!

Looks great and very useful info. Market it as Brisket For Dummies like the books. I remember the trepidation before my first one.

I did it as a request for some of my viewers. They were afraid to give it a try. A couple have already done it with good results. We all needed someone to show us how easy it is.

Reactions: daspyknows
Only way to improve that post would be to advise folks to invest in a "cut proof" glove.
I have severed nerves in my left index finger from trimming a packer.
For under 20 clams much pain and blood loss can be avoided.

Sounds like a great suggestion!

Thank you I will

That is why this forum is so good . Its nice to know you have a helping hand here when things look or are a little more than I/we though.
Always helpful and informative
And sometimes just that little twist on doing something that I might not have thought of

David

David

Truth. I was a total failure at smoking until I found this forum. So many people helped me to develop the confidence to spread my wings and try different thing.

That’s a fine looking brisket Disco!
Very nicely done!
Al

Thanks, Al! I do love a brisket!

Great Brisket, Disco! Very easy steps and it looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: disco
Great tutorial, Disco!!!
I use pretty much the same method, with great results. I can't fit a whole packer in my MES 30, so I have to separate the point from the flat, and use 2 cooking racks (I put the point above the flat so the flat catches the drippings). But the point always goes for burnt ends--otherwise I'd be trimming all the fat off the slices before I could eat it. That's just Miss Linda and me--we don't eat any fat.
People are always afraid to do their first brisket (I know I sure was), but using your tutorial and method really makes the job pretty simple,
Gary

Great tutorial, Disco!!!
I use pretty much the same method, with great results. I can't fit a whole packer in my MES 30, so I have to separate the point from the flat, and use 2 cooking racks (I put the point above the flat so the flat catches the drippings). But the point always goes for burnt ends--otherwise I'd be trimming all the fat off the slices before I could eat it. That's just Miss Linda and me--we don't eat any fat.
People are always afraid to do their first brisket (I know I sure was), but using your tutorial and method really makes the job pretty simple,
Gary

Thanks, Gary. I love burnt ends too but this reminded me how good that fatty point slice is. However, avoiding fat is not a bad thing!

Great step by step. I will definitely follow this when I do another brisket!

Thanks! Let me know how you like it!

What are your thoughts on using Peach paper instead of foil? I'm going to be doing a couple 10 pound briskets starting tonight for tomorrow's festivities. I'll post up the results in a new thread.

What are your thoughts on using Peach paper instead of foil? I'm going to be doing a couple 10 pound briskets starting tonight for tomorrow's festivities. I'll post up the results in a new thread.
This is largely a matter of personal taste. Here is my take on it. Foil is more forgiving and is easier to get a truly tender brisket from. Also, it shortens the smoke considerably. However, some of the bark steams off and the texture leans toward a bit of pot roast consistency.

Paper wrap still gives a nice tender brisket but you have to be more spot on with probing and resting or it can be a little tougher. It does shorten the cook time from unwrapped but not as much as foil. As the paper allows some steam to escape, it keeps a better bark. The meet has a nice beef slice texture but isn't as soft as foil but is more than tender enough if done right.

No paper or foil gives a great beefy flavour and dark bark but it is harder to get the moist tender result. Again, if you do it right without under or over cooking, it is wonderful.

The reason I chose foil for the basic brisket is it was for someone doing his first brisket and foiling is more forgiving. If you want a better bark go ahead and use paper but the cook will take longer and make sure you let the meat get to probe tender, don't overcook past that, and let it rest for at least an hour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky