Barn yard sushi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Smoked a few chucks on the MES. Cubed and sauced for burnt ends. Planned to take them to my grandma's house for lunch on Thursday, but got busy with chores and making jerky/biltong and never made it her way.
My wife wanted to make sushi with the kids on a whim, so I made the rice and they set to chopping. But after a few hunts in the freezer... No fish, shrimp, anything that would typically be the protein. But we had burnt ends in the warmer oven!
PXL_20221230_022808305~2.jpg

Burnt ends were rolled up with cream cheese, avocado, and roasted green Chile.
PXL_20221230_030130580.jpg

PXL_20221230_030136356.jpg

Turns out the chuck was a surprisingly close stand in for unagi (eel).
Everyone but the 2 y.o. approved. You can never guess what kids will or won't be into, lol.

Did make it out to my grandma's yesterday for the proper burnt ends presentation, but my phone didn't save the picture.

Everyone but the 2 y.o. approved. You can never guess what kids will or won't be into, lol.
We have 4 grands, all girls, from 3 to 14. I just cook and try to introduce them to new flavors because you never know what they'll eat. I want them to know that there are other things to eat rather than microwave mac-n-cheese...

Now that's a bit different. Looks real good from here.

Point for sure
Chris

We have 4 grands, all girls, from 3 to 14. I just cook and try to introduce them to new flavors because you never know what they'll eat. I want them to know that there are other things to eat rather than microwave mac-n-cheese...
Funny don't forget to add the Franco American family of products to that list.
Uh Oh Spaghettios

nice idea! look good!
Thanks!
We don't eat hardly any packaged food these days, but mac-n-cheese is still in our regular rotation, lol. No easier way to get kids to try a vegetable than to put it in boxed mac-n-cheese.
Now that's a bit different. Looks real good from here.

Point for sure
Chris

Funny don't forget to add the Franco American family of products to that list.
Uh Oh Spaghettios
Thanks!
It was really good. The burnt ends were slightly dry (under done) but nothing a little cream cheese couldn't fix!

By the time they cooled and reheated at my grandma's, they were quite nice.

That’s cool and I bet tasty! I put nori dust in my brisket rub so that flavor goes well with burnt ends!

Reactions: jcam222
Creative!! I love the kinds with eel.
Me too. Never thought about it, but it's basically bbq sauce they put in the eel.
That’s cool and I bet tasty! I put nori dust in my brisket rub so that flavor goes well with burnt ends!
I bet that's great! Very interesting. I just bought bananas leaves to try wrapping some stuff. Maybe I'll work nori into that as well.

Reactions: civilsmoker
A for effort! Sushi is basically the only thing I order out for because I like cooking at home. But the main reason sushi is so expensive at the restaurant is all the labor involved. The fish is not that pricy relative to the cost of sushi - it's really the time and the expertise of making all that sushi, even if it's only rolls. And the rice!! You have to buy the right rice and then make it correctly, and it takes time! Not to mention equipment. You gotta have that mat to roll with. The nori to wrap it with. You need at least a little expertise, not to mention a very sharp knife. And patience! So, after all that, you're gonna end up with a very delicious roll, regardless of whether it happens to be made of fish or beef! Very well done, sir.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Very nice, I’d have been all over a few of those!
Thanks!
A for effort! Sushi is basically the only thing I order out for because I like cooking at home. But the main reason sushi is so expensive at the restaurant is all the labor involved. The fish is not that pricy relative to the cost of sushi - it's really the time and the expertise of making all that sushi, even if it's only rolls. And the rice!! You have to buy the right rice and then make it correctly, and it takes time! Not to mention equipment. You gotta have that mat to roll with. The nori to wrap it with. You need at least a little expertise, not to mention a very sharp knife. And patience! So, after all that, you're gonna end up with a very delicious roll, regardless of whether it happens to be made of fish or beef! Very well done, sir.
Yeah, it is a bit of work. We don't do it often. We have a small tote that we keep the stuff packed away in because we maybe make sushi one a year. But it's fun.
Not only do you have to have the nori, you have to keep it from being smashed to bits in the pantry by the kids... Lol.

Reactions: Marknmd
looks great and fun for the kids my kind of innerds

When I seen the title of the thread , i thought it was mine for a second as
I just did one in November with almost the same name

Not taking away from your post at all. It was my first timer to make and I do not do raw fish

David

looks great and fun for the kids my kind of innerds

When I seen the title of the thread , i thought it was mine for a second as
I just did one in November with almost the same name

Not taking away from your post at all. It was my first timer to make and I do not do raw fish

David
I often think I've thought of something novel only to remember I just copied something I forgot I'd seen.
I remember your post now, lol.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thats awesome! Im all about trying new twist on favs! Im the only one in the house that like sushi so ive only made it once! Yours looks great!

Reactions: Hockeydudde
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky