Bark on the Meat!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wolfpackpilot

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Kernersville, NC
OK guys (and maybe gals)...

I'm days away from purchasing either the SmokinTex 1400 or the Smokin It #3 (unless someone can tell me how to get a cookshack for 25% off!!).  After 6 years, the WMS has smoked its last brisket... time to invest in a cabinet smoker.  I've made my mind up after researching, and for me the electric smoker has won.

Here is my dilemma:

1.  Bark, burnt ends, crust, crunchy stuff... whatever you want to call it, is very important to me.  My friends love it, and I do too.  Am I going to be disappointed with the cabinet smokers?  Whats the trick to get the bark?  A mustard rub? Oil?  There has to be a way!  I know someone out there can do it.

2.  Also... which smoker?  Smokin It #3 is about $180 less (with accessories/shipping), but has bigger interior space.  I have ZERO experience with these types of smokers.

Thanks for the help folks!

Billy V in Kville, NC

Hi Billy,

See my comments below in red.  I hope this helps.
OK guys (and maybe gals)...

I'm days away from purchasing either the SmokinTex 1400 or the Smokin It #3 (unless someone can tell me how to get a cookshack for 25% off!!).  After 6 years, the WMS has smoked its last brisket... time to invest in a cabinet smoker.  I've made my mind up after researching, and for me the electric smoker has won.

Here is my dilemma:

1.  Bark, burnt ends, crust, crunchy stuff... whatever you want to call it, is very important to me.  My friends love it, and I do too.  Am I going to be disappointed with the cabinet smokers?  Whats the trick to get the bark?  A mustard rub? Oil?  There has to be a way!  I know someone out there can do it.  I just apply a basic rub on butts and briskets and the low and slow heat does the rest.  My rub contains some brown sugar so low temps are best.  I don't foil because I am a bark fanatic and to me foiling takes away from the bark.

2.  Also... which smoker?  Smokin It #3 is about $180 less (with accessories/shipping), but has bigger interior space.  I have ZERO experience with these types of smokers.  I have an MES30 analog and it does fine.  It's a little small so I will probably upgrade in the next year or so.  I'm not familiar with the others.  I also own a WSM and love it, but it needs more prep and attention than the electric.

Thanks for the help folks!

Billy V in Kville, NC
Good luck and get smokin'

Bill

Here is the breakdown on the 3 different smokers I have been looking at.  (with accessories I want).

Keep in mind the Smokin-It Model #3 has a 1200-watt heating element and 14x18 racks.  The SmokinTex 1400 has a 700 watt element and the 14x14 racks.  

The cookshack comes with extra electronic extras, but man is it expensive compared to the others.

Smokin-It (China)

SmokinTex (China)

Cookshack (USA)

Model #3

1400* special package includes items priced at 0.00

SuperSmoker Model SM045

Smoker

Stand

Wood Chip Insert

Cold Smoke Plate

Cover

Seafood Rack

Shipping

Total:

The cheapest one will work and be able to put whole slabs of ribs in. A rack of ribs is about 17 inches or so. A mes 30 or 40 is even cheaper and will do the same cooking.

You have certainly done your homework.   That chart you put together should be useful for others considering a go with electric.  Good luck with your decision.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky