Bare Naked Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tex1911

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
My next experiment will be placing the ribs, most likely BB ribs, in the smoker untouched. No rub, no SPOG. Nothing. It will be the 3-2-1 process with a little twist. So, I want to see what you guys think about maybe a thin layer of Virgin Olive Oil to prevent drying out. Or would 3 hours burn the oil? Bad idea?

They will be in MES 40 with the mod box at 225* ish.

BB Ribs usually only need 2-2-1 at 225°F. If you want more smoke, 3 hours is fine but you may wish to cut an hour else were to avoid overcooking. OLIVE OIL Smoke Point is 405°F. Use it if you wish...JJ

Reactions: Tex1911
I do ribs naked too, but let them go in the smoke until done, no wrapping.
They come out plenty juicy. If it were me I would use St. Louis style ribs, since they have a little more fat in them & they won't dry out. BB's tend to get dry, especially if they are real thick with a piece of loin on top. They will be marked as loin back ribs & that's all they sell around here anymore.
Al

Agree with Al. No wrap & smoke 'em till they're done. You can still do it with BBs, might need to monitor a bit more.

Reactions: Tex1911
Good points from all. I forgot the BB ribs don't need as much time as the others.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky