Baking Powder Biscuits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Here's a recipe from the farm for Baking Powder Biscuits that works great and makes 7-9 big ol' biscuits:

2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk
extra flour

heat oven to 450 deg.

In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, salt. Stir to mix a bit, then add 1/3 cup oil. Cut into flour mixture with a dough cutter until granulated. Add milk and stir with fork until thick, scraping sides of bowl. Flour a countertop a foot square and spatula out of the bowl. It will be sticky so flour the top, and start folding and kneading, about 20 times or so, adding sprinkles of flour as necessary to keep from sticking. Pat out to about 1/2 inch or so, dust with flour on top and cut with a tumbler or cutter (I use a tumbler that is 2 3/4" across), rekneading, dusting and cutting. Should yield about 7-9 biscuits.
Bake at 450 deg. for 14 min or until golden brown on top.

What was left!

Last edited:
ALMOST in time....ah well. Doing sausage and gravy this AM, but bought a "tube" of biscuits last night heh. Ah well..it's mostly about the gravy ;{)
Thanks for the recipe tho!

Nice looking biscuits.

thanks for the recipe, we have been looking for a recipe like "grandma used to make ", and these seem to be right on, I added about a 1/2 cup more flour, but they are real good.

thanks
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Been looking for a biscuit recipe. Keep dreaming of homemade biscuits and gravy, but I can't make either. Been practicing a little with the gravy, now I can try some biscuits.

Thanks for the recipe!

thanks for the recipe,have been making them with Bisquick,but this will be a lot cheaper,is it ok to add some butter and if so how much would be okay.

I make a recipe like this, but with butter instead of the oil. You want the butter cold and you cut it into the flour like he says for the oil, ideally with a pastry cutter.

It's important to not overwork the dough after you put the milk in.

I have a real good and easy recipe for the gravy but then again will have to dig it up. I have thousands of recipes I need to stick em all on a flash drive. Man them things are cheap now I just bought a 2 gig for 12 bucks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky