Baked Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chops1sc

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
South Carolina
I mainly need confirmation that I can bake potatoes on my Pit-Boss just like I would an oven.

Normally, I bake a naked potato in the oven around 425 for 1 hour. I am hoping this same time and temp will work on my Pit-Boss. I won't have time to do a "low and slow" this evening and I don't want to heat up the oven if I can help it.

Thanks!

If you are worried about 'too smokey' just wrap in foil after 30 minutes.

Tip: I've used potato nails for 40 years, and also have an upright rack. They shorten the cooking time, and they cook from the inside out and outside in.
APdYbWK.jpg
6zloGx9.jpg

You should be just fine. The only risk as stated above, you may want to wrap if you don't want too much smoke. I also would poke them a couple of times with a fork, lightly coat with vegetable oil (don't use EVOO as the heat is too high and it will mix with the smoke giving you a bitter taste) and some S&P.

Jason

If you are worried about 'too smokey' just wrap in foil after 30 minutes.

Tip: I've used potato nails for 40 years, and also have an upright rack. They shorten the cooking time, and they cook from the inside out and outside in.
View attachment 639057
View attachment 639058
that is interesting, never heard of that. I guess any food grade metal would do like a kabob skewers would work?

that is interesting, never heard of that. I guess any food grade metal would do like a kabob skewers would work?
My single ones are aluminum, the rack is stainless but smaller in diameter. Conduction is all you are after, so gold ones would work really well. :emoji_laughing:
On Amazon, they are called potato rods, (6 for $8), and they have potato stands too.

Reactions: 912smoker
potato nails...I'd think some AWG 4 or 6 solid copper wire would work pretty well too.

Sorry it took so long to make an update!

They turned out great! I ended up having to bounce the grill between 400 and 450 since it wouldn't set to 425. 🤷‍♂️ But it wasn't a huge deal.

I gave 4 taters a generous coating of oil and kosher salt after washing and stabbing them. I put them on the top rack and flipped them after 30 minutes or so. An hour pretty much was spot on as the temp probe went right in during testing.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Might taste funny
people have cooked on both copper and steel for a long time.
Little surprised folks didn't react to the fact that nails frequently are zinc-coated...I wouldn't worry about it at potato temperatures but many object to any galvanized object in their cooker.

people have cooked on both copper and steel for a long time.
Little surprised folks didn't react to the fact that nails frequently are zinc-coated...I wouldn't worry about it at potato temperatures but many object to any galvanized object in their cooker.

Yeah, and the copper reacts with some foods in a way that is positive (like if you are beating eggs) and in a way that is not positive other times (say, tomatoes).

The purpose-sold "potato nails" are not zinc coated. The ones i have are just polished aluminum. Not sure which alloy, they are too stiff to be made of beer cans.

I mainly need confirmation that I can bake potatoes on my Pit-Boss just like I would an oven.

Normally, I bake a naked potato in the oven around 425 for 1 hour. I am hoping this same time and temp will work on my Pit-Boss. I won't have time to do a "low and slow" this evening and I don't want to heat up the oven if I can help it.

Thanks!
My ‘go-to’ for having baked potatoes with either grilled or smoked meals is to wash them up, poke some holes, and then toss them in the microwave for about 8 minutes with just a little water in the bottom of the dish. Once out, I wrap them in Al foil and toss them on the grill. I turn them periodically and they are usually ready about the same time as the meat. I just squeeze the foil and base done on feel. They taste just as good as those I do in the oven. It’s a great option to keep the oven off on these hot days.

The ones i have are just polished aluminum...
Not quite copper, but MUCH better thermal conductivity than a steel nail. The heat transfer was what I was steering folks toward. And heavy gauge aluminum grounding wire is even cheaper than copper...I just don't have any, not being a big fan of aluminum household wiring.

Although I have no experience on this particular pit, I believe it should work. After all, an oven works by heating the air not the instrumention, so why should it be any different on a smoker? I would recommend putting the potato on a rack and not directly in the pan. This allows the air to circulate better and gives the potato a crispier skin.

Lots of years ago I had a small "Hibachi" cast iron grill I could take to the lake and sit on a table top. Got the charcoal going, 2 potatoes wrapped in foil went on, 20 min later 2 foil wrapped ears of corn went on, 20 min later a couple steaks went on. Yep twirling everything around as it cooked, but everything was done at the same time about an hour from start to finish. Those were good old days.

When I was a kid we all this hibachi grill,, maybe could fit 4 burgers. Not sure why everyone had when when we all had bigger charcoal grills?
1663374727916.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky