BACON... WHAT DO I DO NOW ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
OK.. So the bacon has been under dry cure for 8 days now... I used cure #1 at the proper amounts.. used salt at 2% of the meat weight.. and sugar at 1.5% ... was I suppose to put other spices on at that time (pepper, maple syrup, and such) ?? or do you put them on before going in the cold smoke ??? (should of asked these questions before I started) ...

1st time doing bacon and I was anxious to get it under cure.. after a couple of days I started double guessing myself...

Sounds like you are right on track.

I like to add the other spices after I do the cure. With that said I did add white pepper and garlic during the cure last time and that worked out good.

So if you are done curing (I typically go a bit longer 12-14 days) rinse the meat season if you want (syrup I'd do right before smoking if you plan on hot smoking). Air dry in the fridge either hang or on racks. This last batch I let go 4 days before smoking.

I cold smoke. I do 6-8 hours of smoke a day, rest overnight and repeat until I get the color I am looking for.

Then rest in the fridge. This last time was 7 days. Then portion out and vac pack. I like to cut rashers not slices. That way I can use the bacon for other things besides just sliced bacon. Prior to curing I cut the bellies in half. Prior to packing I cut those halfs into thirds.

Last edited:
Case got ya covered. I only put in the cure, salt and sugar to cure. Then add what ever. I add before drying in the fridge.

good deal.. thanks you guys... YOUR THE BEST... :biggrin:

my next dilemma is... I will be busy starting Sat. for about a week and a half.. I won't be able to get back to it until then ... should I leave it in open air in the fridge or put them in ziplock bags until I can get back to them ??

Are you going to be home. If you are, I would split the difference. Have way take them out and rinse then in the fridge to dry

good deal.. thanks you guys... YOUR THE BEST... :biggrin:

my next dilemma is... I will be busy starting Sat. for about a week and a half.. I won't be able to get back to it until then ... should I leave it in open air in the fridge or put them in ziplock bags until I can get back to them ??

I'm pushing the envelope here, but I'd leave them as is. Plastic locks in moisture which isn't good. Don't do that after drying.

WAIT A MINUTE! Have you removed them from the cure? If not leave them in the cure until you get back.

no.. still in the cure in zip lock bags... they have been in since the 18th ... I did a 200 ppm cure ...

no.. still in the cure in zip lock bags... they have been in since the 18th ... I did a 200 ppm cure ...

Keith you need to come up with a timeline for smoking the Bacon!

The slabs will be fine until you get back from whatever Exotic warm weather trip you have going on, in the cure, as long as you fridge doesn't crap out while you are gone.

Now if your fridge keeps working, and you decide to come back from some warm bikini clad beach, follow the steps I posted, it'll all be good!

Keith, I just rinse it off, dry with paper towels, add a little pepper, and let dry on racks on the kitchen table. I smoke on the longer side about 18 hrs. I like the taste and looks. Good luck.

Looks like good info to me and I have a 3lb. piece to start curing tomorrow

Richie

I do my bacon with garlic powder, onion powder, & black pepper. I put that in the cure and rub it on when I cold smoke it.

Al

I put any flavoring in from day one as well. The the longer the contact time the more pronounced the flavor. Flavors I want really upfront, Black pepper, Maple, I add More, during a rest in the refer to form a pellicle. I have even done a style with a basic salt, sugar, cure #1 for the allotted time than an additional 4 days with just a spice rub. Both ways work well...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky