Bacon types

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by smokin pop-pop, Jan 11, 2018.

1. smokin pop-pop

smokin pop-pop Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Mornin' all,
    Got another bacon ? , do you have to use pork belly to make bacon.
    I am from NEPA and I am having one heck of a time finding pork bellies,
    I saw some in a Costco a while back and told my wife that they have them
    so when we are set up with the new work station we can start the process.
    Well the new station is done and I haven't seen a belly since. Any suggestions
    on another cut of meat that can be used ??

2. oddegan

oddegan Smoke Blower

Buck board bacon. Bearcarver has a good step by step on that I believe. It's on my to do list. Just have not gotten to it yet. He also has a great Canadian bacon one as well.

3. smokin pop-pop

Thanks oddegan I will check that out.

4. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

I'm smoking Ground Formed Bacon today,Using cured ground pork.

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Buckboard bacon is a little chewy for me, but Canadian bacon really rocks.
    And it's very easy to make with Pops brine.
    I haven't tried the ground & formed bacon, but everyone who has made it really seems to like it.
    There are a bunch of choices, but none quite as good as belly bacon.
    Try the meat dept. at your local grocery store. They will order a belly for you (at least mine does, Publix).
    Asian markets usually carry them also, if you have one of those near you.
    Also if you have a friend who works in a restaurant, that is a good source also.
    Al

6. smokin pop-pop

Thanks Al, I have a brother-in-law that works for HATFIELD MEATS and
    he is gonna try and hook me up but they don't get it that often. They sell
    it to BUSHES for their beans. my wife and I are trying this new NSNG
    way of eating and it says we can have all the bacon we want so we go
    through like 3-4 lbs. a week . that's why I need a good supply of bellies.

7. Wet Spaniel

Wet Spaniel Newbie

image.jpeg In the UK we make what we call back bacon from the pork loin - which is the joint we would get pork chops from. I know there are some differences in names of cut from one side of the Atlantic to the other so here's a picture of the cut I mean. It makes very good bacon.

8. smokin pop-pop

Wet Spaniel. do you folks leave the fat cap on or trim it ?

9. Wet Spaniel

Wet Spaniel Newbie

Hi, traditionally, and in my house, the fat cap would be left on. We also have middle bacon which is half way between the loin and the belly and that usually has the fat cap and the skin left on. If you cook it right the skin crisps and puffs up beautifully.

10. kit s

kit s Newbie

Contact Costco tell them you would like to see it brought back to store (both locally and also corporate). I have in the past and it worked. In fact my local Costco store recently stopped carrying it also and i have done just that (will see if they bring it back). Store said it was still on their available list so i have hope. They have really great bellies and a good price, but they also have a tendency to stop carrying things and that can be real frustrating.Especially if that is about the only place you can get it without spending a fortune. I have sometimes got from my local butcher shop, but they don't like to order unless you take a case.
    kit

11. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Howdy Neighbor!!
    You shouldn't have trouble in the Lehigh Valley getting Bellies.
    Go to a couple of the small PA Dutch Butcher shops, and ask if they can get you a Belly.
    I get mine from Harry Watermann, near the intersection of Rt 100 & Rt 29 (Hereford), back in the woods.
    He just orders an extra one or two with his order. Sometimes I wait a week or so.

As for other types of Bacon, Click on my "Step by Step" below.
    Then check out the various Bacon threads in the first section.
    There's How-toos for Bacon (Bellies), Canadian Bacon (Pork Loin), Buckboard Bacon (Pork Butt), and Bacon-on-a-Stick (Pork Ribs).

BTW: That Step by Step Link is at the bottom of ALL of my Posts.

Bear

12. Go to any Asian grocery store and you'll find pork bellies. Mexican grocery store also sometime carry them. I had been paying $3.79lb rind on for bellies at the Asia mall in Harrisburg PA. They came from Groff's meats. On a whim I called a local butcher in Fayetteville PA and rind off bellies are $3.49lb and he also had pork jowls for $1.69 rind on. This was actually my main reason in call was to see if they had jowls.

Having made both buckboard bacon and belly bacons, unless someone specifically asks me for buckboard bacon I will not make it anymore. Black Forest Bacon is AMAZING.

For the record I have not made Canadian bacon. Having only ever eating it once or twice I don't remember it being all that exciting compared to American style belly bacon.

From everything I've read when the jowl actually makes a superior bacon compared to the belly. It fattier and the meat is porkier. I'll be able to tell you in about 3 weeks.

13. braz

braz Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Fresh side if you can get it also makes good bacon, a bit leaner than belly bacon.

14. smokin pop-pop

Hey Bear, Its funny that you mention Harrys place because its the only place my wife
    will allow us to get our holiday hams !! It has been her family tradition for as long as
    she can remember ( double smoked bone in ). The place sure has changed since the
    kids took over - no more hats on the wall and they take CREDIT CARDS !! but its
    still one of the best butchers around . I did order a belly from Valley Farm Market
    a local store that we get our fruits and veggies from , should be here Tuesday. I
    will be using your step by step instructions for the process - CANT WAIT !

15. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I haven't been there since the kids took over, but my Son was there. He has been taking Deer there for many years, and now since the Kids took over, they won't take Deer in for butchering. Kinda Ticked him off, but it didn't take him long to find another place.
    I usually Double Smoke my own Hams, but if I have to buy one, I get them at The Farmers Market at Q-Mart in Quakertown (Davis' Shop). They take a Leidy's Ham & Smoke it again.

Here's one of mine:
    Double Smoked Ham

Bear

16. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'll second (or third) the buckboard bacon idea made from pork butt. If you stand it with the fat-side up, go down about 2" and slice horizontally. This will leave you with a flat piece that is a good approximation of belly. That's what I was doing when bellies here were scarce and expensive. The remaining can be cured and used as buckboard bacon (BBB), or just smoked and pulled as normal.