Bacon needs salt after cure and soaked-Help needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not meaning to pile on, but I have to agree with Dave. Big difference between cure #1 and TQ techniques. Lot of people like it, but TQ has always been too salty for my tastes, so I can see soaking for that.
For beginners I always suggest using Pop's wet brine technique, then move on to dry brining if you have a good scale and DiggingDogFarm's calculator. It has never let me down, and you can adjust for how salty or sweet that you want it.
I don't soak, just a quick rinse and pat dry, then set overnight in the fridge to form the pellicle. Or, if it's cold enough outside, I set them on racks in my garage with a fan directed toward them.
Agreed. I like TQ with some things. I think I just needed a quick rinse instead of soak. Thanks

I would think you could get some of the salt flavor back by using the Cajun rub. It won't obviously be inside the meat but will be on the outside. Report back with the finished results.

A little light on salt but heavy cajun and heavy black pepper made both pretty decent.

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: SmokinEdge
You cant fix this batch of bacon. What cure recipe did you use? We need to know that to help.
This bacon ended up pretty decent. The cajun definitely added enough salt back to it. The black pepper crusted provides plenty of flavor. Definitely learned but wanted to post results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky