Bacon made the easy way...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
No weighing,no calculator, just a simple recipe that works quite well, from a man I have known all my life. 

Pops Dad..Carl Fassett owned a store and was very highly regarded for his smoked and cured products.

There are lots of ways to make bacon. This is what I use. From Pops6927..

real simple curing brine:

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji]

1 cup brown sugar or Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] brown sugar mix

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.)   If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce.  The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces).  You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters.

I add pepper,onion, garlic, old bay.

My buddy Raptor and I split a 4 bellie case a few weeks ago.

Cut them up and put them in a bucket with the cure mix...then into the spare fridge for 15 days.

No specific reason for 15 days..it just worked out that way.

Rinsed and put back in the fridge with a generous coating of pepper onion and garlic on half. Added a thick coat of Slap Yer Mama on the other half.

2 days later they got 34 hours of pecan dust smoke using 2 amazens.

Sliced off the skins with ease using my Granpas steel filet knife.. Skin side down cutting like skinning fish.

Back into the fridge for a couple days.

Used my awesome Berkel commercial slicer and had 22 pounds sliced and 2 pounds of ends in no time.

Vac packed using Lisa Bs superb bags.

Try it you will like it..

Here's the B-View. Enjoy!!

6df99a8e_july2012bacon010.jpg

1506d299_july2012bacon009.jpg

11ed10ff_july2012bacon012.jpg

c78c3d46_july2012bacon017.jpg

a84e8979_july2012bacon019.jpg

07efc99e_july2012bacon021.jpg

7d2425b3_july2012bacon026.jpg

28507dc4_july2012bacon028.jpg

3b65f37e_july2012bacon023.jpg

Awesome neighbor,

sliced thin, just the way i like it 
drool.gif

I used the same brine recipe...................... Thanks Pop's
icon14.gif

Mine are in the smokehouse as we speak, may need to use your slicer  
icon_mrgreen.gif

This is the simplest recipe I have ever used......and makes some of the best bacon I have ever eaten!!! The hardest part of this recipe is to leave it alone!!!!!!

I used the same brine recipe...................... Thanks Pop's
icon14.gif

Mine are in the smokehouse as we speak, may need to use your slicer  
icon_mrgreen.gif
Come on over!!

Thank you so much for posting this!  All the time we horsed around at the store running up and down, out in the playhouse, in the attic, they were making ton after ton of the very same bacon;  it's great to know that we're carrying on this same process ourselves to pass down to our children and grandchildren!  But, some of the things we did in those parts we'll never tell, lol!

Reactions: lvrgsp
Originally Posted by sam3  

One question, were you running the two amazen's at one time or alternating when one was almost burned out?
Ran them both the entire time..

Gave a great color didnt it..

That's some puuurdeeee bacon there Craig..................glad to see you at it again.........I always look forward to your bacon posts....

Joe

Absolutely!

Looks like I'm going to have to get another AMZNPS.
biggrin.gif

I like the pellets, because I can use them for other cooks. Big fan of the Pecan flavor too. Thanks for the help.
icon14.gif
Just light both ends til the new one gets there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky