Bacon fail, what'd I do wrong? And does size matter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Seasoning, Smokey coating in the Cabinet, does seem to contribute to flavor. It stands to reason, that a Nasty Creosote coated smoke cabinet would impart an equally Bad Flavor to meat. A Big Cardboard Box, dowels to hang meat, would be better than continuing with that Past Its Prime, MES...JJ

If your going to continue to raise pigs you might want to look into building a smokehouse it doesn't have to be huge. Mine is 4x4 about 8' high and I've had 350 lbs of pork bellies in it before and still had some room left.

20201227_132935.jpg

That looks nice and easy to build. Not that I want this thread to turn in to the workings of the smoker you built I have to ask....is this for hot and cold smoking? I have decided that the inside of my MES is just too far gone becasue when I open the door it smells like a tangy ashtray....time to get a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: hopkinsb
That looks nice and easy to build. Not that I want this thread to turn in to the workings of the smoker you built I have to ask....is this for hot and cold smoking? I have decided that the inside of my MES is just too far gone becasue when I open the door it smells like a tangy ashtray....time to get a new one.

Sorry for the side track I use it for cold smoking and doing sausage

Reactions: hopkinsb
here is a very short video of the set up for the jowl bacon...is it ok?

Little off topic but I have the same smoker and I put an exhaust pipe on it to get more draft and air flow to keep clean TBS moving through it. It really made a big difference.

I just used a piece of that thin stove/vent pipe that you get at HD or Lowes . It's the stuff that you just roll and it locks together to make a tube. I used a 3" piece that was 24" long and it fits perfect in the top vent hole. I also took off that vent adjuster thingee..
IMG_2224.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky