Bacon, Bacon, Bacon ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man....that's some good looking stuff!! Big LIKE. Can't wait to see round 2. When I made my first batch almost 2 years ago, I chopped the end pieces up (the stuff that wouldn't slice nicely) and made them into crumbles. Turns out that we use as many or more of the crumbles as we do the sliced bacon. I am down to 1 small bag of them left in the freezer and remembered that I had half a belly in the freezer so put it on to cure about a week ago. The weight was just over 5# and that entire thing is gonna get chopped up for crumbles after I smoke it this weekend. Hopefully that will carry us over for a while.

Loving some bacon!!
Robert

Thank you, yeah old Disco is a good guy to emulate.

d'Bear said, "you never trim till its cured and smoked" for a reason. Pop did it that way but never had though of a why. Trim is so good in red beans and rice. My only problem is I do lots of seasoning meats, tasso, andouille, hocks, hams, I know there's more... LOL

Bacon
Last bacon 003.JPG

Trim!
Trim 002.JPG

Last edited:
That looks excellent Kevin. I've got my first attempt at belly bacon sitting in the refrigerator now. Followed Disco instructions. I'm hoping I didn't screw it up and it comes out looking half as good as yours does.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks, and I have another now in the brine.

I do a brine cure I would imagine Disco does a rub. So does d'Bear, I just got started using Mr Fassett's brine cure and its just second nature now. You mix a bucket full of brine cure and if it fits in the bucket its good and you can do mixed items.

I want to do a rub because I keep hearing its better. I want to decide if its really better tasting or it better cause you have to handle it alot. Its like a turkey, you smell it cooking for so long when you finally get to eat some its that much better because of the anticipation! Some day I'll rub one.

OK, so here's after the second day. The pictures don't reflect the small amount of added color to well but the aroma!! I get up and go open the reefer just to get a smell! Its not the usually ashtray smoke smell that needs to smooth day a day or two to be wonderful, its amazing now! Thinking of chopping it up and just hanging it around the house as air freshener!!

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Ya know I bet I could sell that whole piece of bacon for a dollar a pound out by the road. The canadian bacon, probably 5.00 for that piece. You could hang that Canadian bacon from the rear view mirror as a car air freshener. I know all the neighborhood dogs would follow you home, even with the windows up!

Thinking maybe about rubbing some of that smell behind my ear and seeing what or who I'd catch.....

Looks great. I would buy that for 10 bucks a lb for sure.

Going to smoke anymore on these?

Looks great. I would buy that for 10 bucks a lb for sure.

Going to smoke anymore on these?

Thanks man!

I don't know..... I fell asleep today while smoking, I woke up, ran outside thinking it was probably ruined. You can't trust that dang Chinese smoke box...LOL Its smells so good..... I'll see what I think tomorrow.

I put another piece in the brine yesterday although it doesn't have any jalapeno juices in it.

Looks great.

Wondering how you did the first and second smoke as in smoker, temps, times, rest time and temp between smokes, etc.

Firm user of pellicule. I don't rush it. Mine sits in a dedicated meat (and beer) fridge for 1-3 days until it "feels" ready.

Thank you

Pellicle is most important, as is the brine and the rub.

I smoke as usual, its just a warm smoke vice what I consider a hot smoke.

I always preheat to 275, no matter even if I am going to maintain a 100 degree chamber temp with the meat.

Add the meat, you have to warm the meat and drop the temperature to where you think you want it. it will start the de-watering cycle. 30 to 45 mins, while the chamber cools to the smoking temp.

During this time I use no smoke, leave the door cracked and all vents wide open. Water, condensate and moisture are all killers of good smoke adhesion.

During this 30 to 45 mins, while the box cools down and we get rid of all the moisture, I prep and light the aux soke generator if using a pellet type so it will be well lite and ready to do its job or I fill the aux smoke generator on the chamber so its ready to go with either pecan shells or wood chips.

I seldom use the remote thermometer anymore except to check the chamber temp. I have done it one or two times now. The Thermometer is great for new ideas, learning, or just something different and unusual. But after a while you just know.

After dewater I leave the door on crack if using the Large Oval tube from amazing, if the tray, 6"tube, or the MES aux smoke generator I latch the door and I am looking to maintain 90 to 130 degree in the chamber.

Today here was cold and wet, I was using a MES 40, with the large oval tube, I had the chamber temp set at 100 with the door cracked and it just cadillac'd just like it knew exactly what it was supposed to do. The meat was warm while smoking but not hot and no visible signs of rendering.

Had I used the MES aux smoker I would have closed the door. It would not have given off as much heat, nor would it have been as close to the meat.

I can tell you what I do, but every smoker or pit is different. Every person who smokes does it different. You just have to enjoy the experience of practicing, that what gets you were you want to be. There is always a sweet spot you've just got to find it. While doing so, you get to eat a lot of good food, safe if you learn with a remote thermometer, drink a lot of libations, understand some great conversations, while doing all this. Smoking is a lazy mans cooking, its 25% prep and 75% patience. Hell an illiterate cave man could do it.

I don't do time and temp., its all depends on the day you smoke. Feel the meat, smell the wood, look at the smoke, check the pellicle, how long was in in the reefer, etc etc etc....

Have fun and enjoy the smoking.

Outstanding write up.

I hope everyone pays attention to the moisture issue.

I was most interested on how you rest the meat between day 1 and day 2 of smoking. I've never smoked and then smoked again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky