Backyard Classic Professional

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by meatnbeer, Dec 27, 2011.

1. So, I had absolutely no need for a new grill, but my sister had the opposite opinion.  She felt that I did not have enough surface area on my Weber (made the decision when she saw me trying to cook for my sons second birthday party).  I only cook large quantities maybe twice a year.  Anyway, she bought me this grill: 

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1250116&navAction=push

[​IMG]

It seems like a solid charcoal grill that could be used for smoking by itself, or with a couple of mods. 

Does anyone have experiences with this grill?

2. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Not familiar with your grill,  but your sister seems pretty nice!

3. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Not familiar with the grill either... But is your sister single ? LOL.. J/K ... enjoy your new grill

4. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I have seen them in Sam's and the grill is a nice one for charcoal. Now it is alittle hard to smoke with but I could do it. Now it does have a plate that is supposed to section each half off but if you don't use it it becme much easier to smoke and good meal with it. I used to have that grill at the pool house and cooked alot out there in the summers.

5. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

wow nice grill. Dont know anything bought them, but after reading the specs it sounds decent. 

6. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Looks like a nice cooker. Nice sister also

Have fun and Happy smoking

7. I know it's new, so I'm not going to make a bunch of changes to it yet.  I will use it for a while and plan in the meantime.  Here is what I am thinking so far:

1.  The shelves on the sides can be removed.  I can remove a shelf from one side and install a side firebox.  Might be able to use it more as a smoker then.

2.  I peviously built a rotisserie for my 18.5" weber.  I can take the parts that I use for that and figure a way to mount it on this grill.  I'm sure it would require some cutting, so careful planning is needed.

3.  Build a vault that I can set on the remaining shelf (when desired and removed when not in use) that can attach to the existing disc vent.  This could be used for cold smoking.

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I've seen those at Sam's. The thing I really like is the ability to raise & lower the charcoal bed. Smoking with it may present a bit of a challenge, but it sounds like your up for it.

9. dougmays

dougmays Limited Mod Group Lead

ditto...i hope one day i meet a girl that tells me i don't have enough cooking area and that i need a bigger grill

10. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

I say cook that gal somethin!  She deserves it!  Good luck with it, practice, practice, practice!

11. This is the best grill Ive ever owned!  I love everything about it.
    I have cooked just about everything and anything on it including smoking.
    I will never buy another grill, as long as I still have this one!

12. jeff wooley

jeff wooley Newbie

I have had this grill for12 years and it is the best grill ever. Can anyone tell me where to find anything near the quality?